New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from doing some scouting (Rockaway River WMA). I saw tons of deer tracks... and lots of turkey tracks.

I also found a climber stand still up in a tree.

I think I might have found my turkey position/spot. It's about 150 yards from a house... in the spring... when its all thick.. and I am all camo... no one will even know I am in there.

We'll see where the tracks are after this next snow storm.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
that's because thet were begining to move into their winter range. Follow the hens to the nesting areas & you'll get the Toms. They move to these areas with the first spring food.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nesting? What's that? I saw where they were roosting last year... scared the crap out of me when a turkey got into a yelling fight with a racoon... while I was in my tree stand (still dark).

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Turkey will move from ridges depending on seasonal food sources. Plus come nesting time they will move to the sunny slopes with better cover if it's a later spring.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hunt areas not spots. I like to stay mobile till I figure out in which direction the birds are heading and get out in front. It makes it easier then getting them to change direction or go where they don't want. In the spring all the toms of harvested had grasses in their crawls and insects. Inside field edges about 50 to 100 yards is always good. don't get busted by them by walking in the fields. get out early and listen for there flock gathering calls when they come off roost. This is how I do it and it hasn't let me down yet.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Like WW get in early. When I'm guideing hunters I'll put the Toms to bed the night before & set up in the Am before they are off the roost.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When I scout, I look for land features. Drainage ditches that run perpendicular to the woods. It allows a man to walk down this without making any sound. Also find thick spungs of woods and roost trees learn the land is in my opinion the most important thing about hunting/trapping. The animals know it. I don't look at the tracks, I ask why is it here, where is it come from and where is it leading. Food, water and shelter(cover) that is all an animal cares for or needs. It's that simple.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
After snow goose hunt yesterday I saw quite a few out in the snow feed on the edge of a field, battery dead on the camera. Preety cool looking in the snow flurries. They will be out more in the weeks to come. It's spring, I feel it.

Till our trails cross,

WW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts