New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you folks practice turkey calling while sitting in a stand? I figured I give the mouth call some practice, but I don't want to screw up deer hunting... I'd love to hear about your successes or failure while doing this. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Actually that happens to be a trick of mine. I am a good caller so I am not really practicing when deer hunting. Although I still practice often. I always have a turkey call with me. Particularly a diaphragm call. I have been in a situation were I have a deer that I have near me that maybe I am waiting for a shot or just dont want to spook it. Well you know as a hunter when that deer has just gotten a sense that something is up. Maybe its a swirling scent maybe its a sixth sense but whatever it is when I see it i will just lightly throw a few clucks maybe a purr or two and that usually settles the deer down. I guess its the feeling that if the turkeys are safe so am I.Give it a wirl.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Well you know as a hunter when that deer has just gotten a sense that something is up. Maybe its a swirling scent maybe its a sixth sense but whatever it is when I see it i will just lightly throw a few clucks maybe a purr or two and that usually settles the deer down. I guess its the feeling that if the turkeys are safe so am I" Thanks! I was thinking this too.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
They hear turkeys in the woods near them all the time...if you turkey hunt in the spring chances are you see alot of deer, ever wonder why ? They share the same habitat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts