New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last two times out, last Friday and today, the toms went silent around 7-7:30. Not just the one I was working at that time but all the ones in the distance too. Yet, earlier last week they went most of the day, responding to real crows most of the time. Weather last Friday was sunny and got warm, today was cool, cloudy, breezy and damp, so I didn't think it was a weather thing. Does this have to do with the mating season winding down for them? BTW, I'm hunting public land if that's a factor, athough I've pretty much had the place to myself while there. Also, I just started using mouth diaphram calls Friday and today, so maybe I'm unknowingly dissing them in turkey jargon. Any stabs at this dilemma would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
This would usually imply that the gobblers were with hens. There are many scenarios though. When a gobbler sound off at a crow call it is shock gobble as apposed to a direct communication toward a hen. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.