New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Bayonne(Hudson County)and Jersey City is the next town over. Liberty State Park is in Jersey City. Christmas afternoon i drove my girlfriend to work in Jersey City. On my way back home i went through the state park. I saw turkey on the side of the road in grass. I know there are pheasant there,but i never saw turkey till today. 2 hens just feeding. It was pretty neat to see them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw them there years ago while on patrol. I spoke to a Ranger, and he thought I was nuts until I told him that I turkey hunt, then he may have believed me.[up]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Years ago I jogged there a few days a week. I would see a large bird , not Turkeys more of a grey color. They where shaped like a bowling ball with a small head.I never found out what they actually where?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
jr.. i've seen a bird that looks like that this year in the fields I hunt...I was wondering what they are also....Outlaw has seen them also

·
Registered
301 Posts
what you probably saw are guinea hens. people buy them in suburban areas to let run around their yards and property. they are said to put a dent in the local tick population but sometimes they find a new home and are fully cabable of living on their own in rural areas. i had one constantly trying to get into my club's pheasant pen

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Guinea hens my guess as well. They make alot of noise sorta like watch dogs like some people have geese. Ah city folk don't usally get to see them as offern as country kin who have them roaming around there propertys.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My parents have a house in PA that we go to every weekend in the summer and during the hunting season. I see turkey all the time up there. They where turkey.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
guinea hens are kind small compared to what I saw...what I saw was about the size of a turkey buzzard, but it was not a buzzard or a turkey...almost looked like a herrin of some sort...i know it sounds bad not to know what it is in my hunting area but its not something i've seen before nor is it a game animal

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
turkeys are showing up all over now...they actually adapt to new areas better than deer it seems...it all comes down to people taking away their habitat by building and removing open land...I HATE IT

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
I think they are like rats, I hunt in Vernon Twp, saw flocks of 80+ turkeys, eating everything in site. We need an open season on them.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
They sounded like guinea hens as well. Maybe it was pea [no swearing please] hen. They are similiar but bigger.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I live in bayonne also. I used to have animals(horses,chickens,ducks,turkeys goats,pheasants,sheep) Over at the tank farms on 440 south.one of my buddys lost a turkey that got away but i think it was a white one.I go to schoool in jersey city,i think i might have to take a stop down liberty state and do some turkey hunting befor school lol.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I remember when there where horses and such over there in bayonne by the tanks. I worked nearby in the Port Jersey area and we sold them some old trailers that where converted to horse stables and storage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.