New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using my 2 3/4 shotgun 12 gauge. I have box of Federal Premium Magnum Turkey shot... #6.. copper plated.

What kind of spread am I look for? Obviously, I do not want it too tight (or too big). I guess I just have to go to the range and try my full choke. 30-35 yards max.

·
Registered
612 Posts
A full choke should be ok... but I prefer to use a turkey choke. As far as I'm concerned, the tighter the pattern the better, especially when using number 6. I'll have to get out to the range again but if I remember right, my gun patterns number 4 better.

Buy a few turkey targets before you go so you know how many pellets from your pattern will be lethal. Shoot-n-c makes one that is pretty good (easily see how many pellets are in the kill zone). Or just use pieces of paper and trace the outline of a bat (handle end) onto it... that is a pretty good size approximation of your target.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I love those shoot and see targets. I shoot #5 hevi-shot in 3 1/2". I shot a snow goose at 80 paces, about 82 yards by my calculations. Dropped stone dead. Watch your pattern. Not to tight. I shoot standard Remington extra full. I pattern at 15 yds through 50 yards. At 15 I could see how and have seen misses, with turkey chokes. Just some food for thaught.

Till our trails cross,

WW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts