New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so who went out this AM, and howd ya do? Whos going out this afternoon? I'll be heading out about 3:30.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
With my lyme I was feeling a little run down this morning so I didn't make it out. But I Am heading out this afternoon. Ill report then.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Went out this morning. I did not see anything till I left at 8:45 and I kicked up a yearling on my way out. I rattled used scent and grunted. Nothing moving this morning. It was a little windy. Good luck to those going out this afternoon.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i didnt make it out today. i had to finish butchering my deer from saturdays NY opener. definitly goin out tomorrow. gonna try the smoke.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I saw a nice 6 point this morning at 7:30. He had 4-5 " brow tines and was 2" past his ears.About 125Lbs.
At 9:05 I saw a good spike that was about 14" wide.
Both went by at 12 yards.
I would have taken the 6 if I had a buck stub.
I'll have to wait for permit season??
I also had deer blowing while I was setting up in the dark.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i asked yesterday but i will ask again. anyone hunting zone 5 or near it and wants to get together after the AM hunt for coffee or chat let me know and maybe we can xchange cell #s. i hunt in stillwater.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sean,I'm surprised you didnt see anything this morning. Must be the moon combined with the wind.
I'm going to hunt Picatinny tonight and Mine hill Wed and Thurs.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys think it may be a little early to use scent?? I plan on using next week for sure but want sure about this week.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Scrubby this time of year use a Dominate Buck scent not a Doe in heat scent. I tried that MoonFire stuff also and some Dominate buck lure. No luck today. I went to MineHill

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Hocky, I will be out all day on thursday. I'm probably 20 minutes from stillwater. I'm 2 miles from Simon Peter sport shop. Will you be out Thursday?? John

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
It all depends on the scent you use.

You can use dominant buck urine from the September opener, till late winter bow. They are like dogs, they smell another buck pee and they have to come and mark the area too. Sometimes they look at it as an aggressive territorial challenge and come in MAD, and somtimes they just want to check out the new guy on the block.

Regular doe pee can be used throughout the seasons as well, and actually makes a good cover scent for boots. It usually keeps deer relaxed as well.

Way too early to use estrous scent though, wait till November.....around the first or second week usually. Sometimes later.

When it gets cold, try heating the scent, its like a warm cup of coffee, they smell it from a tremendous distance when you heat it up!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I thought you guys were using esrous sent now.
I have never used a cover scent Matty, which is probally stupid But I am going to start. I have used dominant buck scent with decent results. I Never warmed the scent. Good tips guys thanks.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Honestly, I dont often use cover scents either, I prefer no scent in most cases.

I do however believe in using deer scents that you know is fresh. If you can get the tarsal glands off of a roadkill buck and find a full pee sack in him, or in another buck. You might as well have gold! I usually wont buy pee from the stores, because its not refrigerated, and I honestly dont think most of it is 100% deer urine. Some of the bottles smell just like the cow pee on my uncles farm, and others smell just like liccorice (sp?) when you heat them. That will scare deer, but if you find a local deer farm that bottles urine, that definitely works, and also as mentioned roadkill or hunter kill deer urine works. Always remember to refrigerate your scents, otherwise they break down, and become worthless.

Dave2122 gets me most the scent I use from a deer farm. Its more expensive, but worth it. I will let him devulge where it is if he wants to. If not, you guys are out of luck!:p:D

**NOTE: Just make sure the roadkilled buck is in a discrete place, such as a backroad. So that Rutnbk isnt disturbed by the sight of someone gathering fresh deer pee and tarsal glands.:eek::p Oh and get a roadkill permit from the local PD, so you dont have to sit on the side of the road "butchering" a deer.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well it would be nice to be privy to that info.:D

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
whats the rule to start cutting up a dead deer on the roadways, plus i dont think it would give us sportsman a great image when people see some of us butchering deer on the side of the road![down]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Need to get a roadkill transportation permit from the local PD. Bring it home and butcher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts