New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt get out this morning because i had to bring my car to the shop for new brakes. I will be out this afternoon. What did everyone se this morning?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
saw a small doe and a bb. there are fresh scrapes around my stand that werent there yesterday but all that means is that the buck was there in the middle of the night. Any how atleast that keeps it exciting never knowing when he might show up to check the scrape. A little doe in heat scent probably wont hurt either. gonaa head out this afternoon.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Thanks Luknikk, A friend needs some meat and so do I. Wish I got the email from the TANJ/UBNJ about deer donations.O hell I'll be out Friday & Saturday looking for a Buck, and if I get it I'll take it down there. Good luck to everyone else.

BHC, called me and told me he missed at a deer. He hit the trigger.[smirk] and they give him a GUN[smirk]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Settled in about 5:30 with our youngest son, age 8. Saw plenty of reflecting eyes on the way in but we must have spooked them out of the meadow. I've gotta enter my stand from a diffrent direction. Cold this morning. First frost for this part of the state. Our son fell asleep around 6:15, woke up at 7:00 feeling pretty cold. He stretched it out for another 40 minutes. As we where heading back to the truck around 8:00, two nice size does hop out of the brush about 60 yards away. We knelt down behind a little rise, they saw us, hung around for 5 min and walked back into the woods. As we pulled out, in the field across the street, there was a lone doe feeding along a brush line. At first I thought it was a horse. We stopped to look and it was a very big doe. At least in the 130-140lb range. Going back tonight. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
lots of activity this evening...just no shooters. Saw a mature doe with 2 babies, a little doe and a nice spike (heavy 6-8 inch spikes) chasing her and grunting then 2 unidentified right before dark. That spike was a nice big deer...hopefully he will hang around and grow a nice rack in the years to come!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I had a new spot picked out in the Armstrong Tract which Matt and I hunted a few times in the past. I got in my stand at 5:15 after laying out a young buck scent trail followed by some Doe in Estrus. Just as it was getting light enough to shoot I heard a deep grunt and some sticks breaking along a deer trail I nicknamed BROADWAY last year becuase of all the does that ran under me on it. I saw the buck was a shooter (heavy antlered 10pt) so I stood in position as he followed my scent trail. He stopped at what looked to be 20 yards and was 1/4 towards me. Not the best shot but he was looking behind him so I drew back and let one go. To be honest I thought I pegged him and as I sat watching him run down the hill I thought I got him good. 15 minutes and I get down and go over to the spot and see my arrow. I was deflated.....No Blood.
I looked for hair or any sign of a hit. It was a clean miss. As I paced it off it was more like 27 yards so I must have missed low. I went back up and hunted until 1:30pm and saw a couple of young does. All in all an exciting day. I will be back in that spot. Same bat time, same bat channel[up]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went out this evening...saw a four and a scrawny eight point....they both lived to see another day. My buddy saw a nice eight while he was on the ground in a blowdown. He sadi it was a nice buck but it caught him moving his bow into position for a shot. he sadi it had a bucnh of "junk" kickers and stickers on the bases and limbs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts