New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many guys are shooting a tubeless peep versus a tubed peep. I am shooting a tubeless peep and when the peep lines up a produces a awesome sight picture. Here's the problem.... It's not lining up every time. A friend showed me a trick and that was to spin the d loop around the string. It fixes the problem for about 15 or 20 shots and then the peep isn't lining up right again. I'm a no nonsense type hunter and there is no doubt that this set up is producing outstanding groups in the range. I am fearful that at the moment of truth in the woods this peep isn't going to line up. Is there any way that I can tell for sure before drawing the bow back that the peep is or isn't going to line up? I could scream right now I'm so irritated by this. If I can't get this fixed by the end of the week I'm going back to a tubed peep.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have one and have the same problem.I was told the string should make it line up if its installed corect.I can tell when its going to f up and i twist the string before i draw back but its still a pain. I miss the tube.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Im not a fan of tubeless peeps for this reason. In my opinion, go back to the tubed peep.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If done correctly with quality strings, it should be hassle free for a while.

I have not touched my setup in like 4 or 5 years. Last year the peep started to turn slightly to the left.

Not wanting to untie the peep and change strands around or put twists in the string, I cut off the loop and moved it to help align the peep.

When I installed it 5 years ago it was perfectly aligned, so this recent movement is a sign that my strings are going bad. Setup is still shooting perfectly though, so I don't really want to spend money on strings and change stuff. I'll squeeze one more season out of these strings. I'll just shoot less deer to conserve the amount of shots left in those strings!:D

Was yours aligned correctly for a while? Old strings? Could be the same boat as me....

Or if it was never aligned correctly, or they are new strings, you may get a little turn as the strings "settle" (we never call it stretch anymore)LOL

Simple solution:

You can fix that by pressing the bow and moving strands from one side of the peep to the other. May take a little trial and error to get it perfect, but it's worth it.

You can also cut off the loop and tie a new one on in the right spot to make the peep align. It should be tight enough to not move around the string without the possibility of messing up the serving. That will solve the problem too, but it's kind of a half-assed fix.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a brand new bow, loop, and peep. Could it be my strings are settling lol. I shot it maybe 500 shots last week.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yeah. Even though strings are pre-stretched and really top of the shelf now.

You still get some settling during the first 50 to 300 or so shots (depending on the strings).

During this time, stuff moves. It's inevitable.

I try to set up my bow without tying anything in permanently, shoot it a bunch, then go back and really fine tune and lock everything in place. It can be a waste of time if you do all that right off the bat.

Like I said, things are going to move. Wait till everything settles in, then fine tune it. Fix the peep, check the nocking point, readjust the draw length if you can feel a slight difference, etc.

Usually takes me about 3 days to get my bow exactly where I want it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i use a tube and recently it snapped and without it its almost impossible for me to get a alignedshot, so i fixed it and now just as good as before i recommend them

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
You have to rotate the strings until the peep lines up perfectly when drawn. Once you draw enough times and it looks good put a dab of glue on the D loop. This way every time it should stay in line at the same place.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Tubes are ok, but I don't like that they can get snagged on stuff and rip or break off. Also, some begin to dry-rot and break quicker than others.

The newer type I think is silicone or something like that. It's supposed to last much longer. If you're going to use a tube, try to find what the newer materail is and use that.

I don;t like the idea of a tightly wound rubber tube aimed at my eye with the possibility of breaking either. [patcheye]

For bowhunting, it's hard to beat something like a 2X2 shurz-a-peep. It's tubeless, but even if it rotates wrong, you can see through it. The 3 split shurz-apeep is good too, but I like the 2x2 better.

Personally I have a Fletcher tru-peep, but I recommend shurzapeeps for hunting bows. They are the most hassle free.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If I can't get this fixed by the end of the week I'm going back to a tubed peep
i use a tube and recently it snapped
This happened to me while in a tree stand. As mentioned above without it you are screwed. Besides the chance of the tube breaking it also made a snap sound during the shot.[down]

Now I use a tubeless peep and will never look back.

Follow Matty's advice and see what happens.

Good luck[up]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matty thanks bud. Deer master once I get things right I'm also gonna put some glue on there. The bow is shooting great but this peep is driving be bonkers.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I also tie off above and below the peep where all the strings converge. I see some people dont do this.

It keeps things form shifting and the peep in place if bumped.

Not sure if it keeps the draw alignment in place, but can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
funny u posted this i got a g5 peep and wen it lined up it was awesome but it didnt i was told the strings on my dxt were factory and wud need custom string so i said my luck ill have a nice buck under meand the peep wont come around i bought it back and went back to tube comes back every shot

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
tubeless peep and loving it. meta peep. undo the serving above and below the peep and rotate one strand around to each side if you can. If not go to the shop and have it done. I personally dont want any more "twists" in my string so when I took it to the shop, just had them move bundles around until it was correct.

also.... two tone string colors. many times we want one color on one side and another on the other side. It was suggested to me to do half and half. So the bundles are split on either side. works for me.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I love my tubeless peep. Never had an issue [up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
My G5 peep has never turned on me. Rob at targeteers always sets up my bows and I have never had anissue. Perhaps stop by Targeteers or call Rob and ask him his opinion. Like I said, my G5 peeps have never let me doen and I shoot a lot. Good Luck[up][up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Tubeless, with zero problems. My friends son ripped his tube on opening day last year!! I removed my windshield washer hose and rigged him a tube for the day.

·
Registered
507 Posts
A great topic! I have a tubed peep right now, but can start seeing it starting to crack a little... it's only a matter of time until it breaks. Last thing I need is my eye poked out! ;) Plus the new bow is almost completely silent except for when the tube moves when I release. I might look into getting a tubeless peep.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts