New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Sammy is ready to junk his 1993 Nissan 4x2 pick up it has almost 300,000 miles on it. So next week he wants to buy a new truck, either Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, or the Dodge Dakota, all in V-6, 4 wheel drive. He really likes my Toyota, he is also partial to Nissan, but his girlfriend works for Mercades Benz which is part of Dodge and she can get a discount how much I don't know. But 3 guys I know that are mechanics told him stay away from the Dakota unless you get the V-8. He will see what discount she gets on them, but said he will likey look at Toyota and Nissan.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the Tacoma or the Frontier as they are both fantastic trucks. I wouldn't even consider the Dodge among those three, I have a friend who had a Dakota and he had nothing but problems and got rid of it with only 70k miles. If price is an issue, I'd go with the Colorado which is slightly cheaper than both the Tacoma and the Frontier due to the you pay what we pay deal.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is I got the 4 door, auto, with the long bed, and TRD OFF ROAD PACKAGE, and its fully loaded, and I got a sweet a** deal

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Personally, I'd stay away from the Dodge Dakota. I've heard nothing but bad things about the front suspension on those trucks.

You can't go wrong on a Toyota.

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I can only echo what others have said, and I am a dodge owner. However I have the 3/4 ton with the cummins diesel. I can highly recommend this truck, but it is probably a little more than he is looking for.

-dan

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
a friend of mine has the dodge 2500 with hemi. he says it's been nothing but problems. He is a mechanic too so he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dodge owner here too, and my brother has a 2000 Dakota ClubCab 4X4 V8 4.7L.

Basically nothing but problems, and ever since Dodge merged with "Mercedes Benz me over".....they wont touch recalls. He had *three on his truck, and they always act like they cant simulate the problem or its out of their hands. (*Amongst other problems that were never recalled)

One of the problems is it "pop"s out of first gear (manual trans)....more like explodes. They had it for three weeks, and said they couldnt recreate the problem. I drove it for the tech guy, and got it to "pop" out within ten minutes of driving it, he was busy looking out the window, and said, I didnt see it but you didnt engage it fully, do it again. I lost it at that point, and wasnt "invited" back to the dealership.

We also called up and threatened to light the truck on fire and drive it through the Michigan plant. Finally I was able to get a highly discounted (almost free) trans from the company that makes them.

So what Im saying is, I love Dodge, but now that they are a part of Mercedes; Their customer service stinks like bloated roadkill![mad] Go with something else.[down]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I had a dodge ram 1500 extended bed and cab, it was fine until 65000 miles.

Then trans problems, and air pressure problems

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
65K is less than 2 years for me as well. That is why I went with a diesel. And as far as recall and warenty issues, some dealers are much better than others. I have had pretty good luck after I found a good dealer, and I did not buy the truck from them. Then again, I have had very few issues. 2003, 75K miles, 1 recall on an ECM? cable, 1 tech bullitin on the Alt bracket. No other trouble, just replaced the rubber and still on original breaks, but I don't pull all that often, and this truck is built to pull every day.
For anyone thinking about a 3/4 ton with the Hemi, get the diesel instead, you get alot more with it than just the engine (extra trans cooler, bigger axles etc.)

-dan

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
65K miles??? On almost all vehicles made today, that's barely broken in yet. [mad]

David

·
Registered
340 Posts
Always wanted Dakota 4 door. I think im going to change my mind. Been researching Nissan Frontier. It really looks like a awesome truck. Any opinions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts