New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant believe the last major stocking day was last tuesday for most of the parks, lakes, and ponds. THEY COULD HAVE WAITED TO THE WEEKEND AT LEAST. the state takes out radio adds to promote fishing and get the kids involved but you only get about 2 weeks of trout stocking in the places easily accesible for many to fish. most of the rivers are not a place to bring a youngster with little patients fishing unless you like tangles from trees and roaring rapids.. WHAT A JOKE. do they expect us to get corkers and waders for a 10 year old. they could easily stock another week or so. why dump thousands of fish in one river when the local ponds and lakes are what get hit up mostly in the early season. just seems stupid. they need to spread the fish out better and let the families and youngsters enjoy.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
i cant believe the last major stocking day was last tuesday for most of the park lakes and ponds. THEY COULD HAVE WAITED TO THE WEEKEND AT LEAST. the state takes out radio add to promote fishing and get the kids involved but you only get about 2 weeks of trout stocking in the places easy for most to fish.most of the rivers are not a place to bring a youngster with little patients fishing. WHAT A JOKE. do they expect us to get corkers and waders for a 10 year old. they could easily stock another week or so. why dump thousands of fish in one river when the local ponds and lakes are what get hit up mostly in the early season. just seems stupid. they need to spread the fish out better and let the families and youngsters enjoy
[wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The division does the best they can to make everyone happy with a tiny budget and limited resources. Volunteers from TU are working with a tiny staff(I have heard as little as 4) from the state to stock these trout. Personally I think they are doing a good job given the circumstances.

The problem is that the state cut the funding for the kids fishing derbies. Thanks to Corzine's budget cuts the division was forced to cut back one of the most important programs to the future of fishing here in NJ[up] This is one reason why you are seeing less kid friendly waters being stocked. Thanks Jon[eyeroll]

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The division does the best they can to make everyone happy with a tiny budget and limited resources.
I agree with that statement. I think they do a good job with what they have to work with.

I still think they should raise the price of a trout stamp to 20 or 30 dollars and stock an average fish of 18-22 inches. These fish they stock now I consider bait, and are pretty much useless to me. I want something that has more meat than bones fighting at the end of my line.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Still lakes up north being stocked for a few more weeks, they go by size of lake, amount of use and probable water temp. As far as I know lakes in the southern part of the state cannot sustain trout too long. But I agree they should have waited till the week end.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont care so much about derbys and such. im talking about taking out the family especially the younger ones to catch fish in a relaxed easy going setting... the younger ones cant stream fish so putting thousands of fish in a river is dumb the first couple weeks of the season. throwing the trout in the huge lakes dont make cense either. put more fish in the local smaller lakes and ponds so the kids and wifes can have a good time actually catching something.they should have stocked the local places at least another week and with more fish. i dont think they do a good job at all considering what we pay.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Volunteer to help. They need it.
lets see. the fish get raised in a hatchery. they get put in a truck and driven to an area and released. do i need a CDL license because i will drive those buggers to where people want to catch them. ill tell you one thing. it wont be roaring rapids river or some lake that can hold the loch ness monster[lol] does the musky really need 47,000 fish.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
the younger ones cant stream fish so putting thousands of fish in a river is dumb
Incorrect sir [smirk] I've been trout fishing on the Musky & S. Branch Rivers since I could walk. Did I fall in sometimes? Maybe :D but I was still out there fishing and catching trout.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Volunteer to help. They need it.
this might be a dumb question,(and a lazy one since i could just go to the divisions site) but how can you volunteer?

I'd go dump nets, etc...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Roaring rapids river? Please tell me what rivers in this state have roaring rapids [lol]

these tu volunteers are the ones dedicating their free time for the enjoyment of all fishermen across the state and we are criticizing them for their sacrifice...assuming they are the ones determining where the fish are placed? It is the state who decides the allocation of fish to each body of water. If you have a problem with the allocation of fish to a particular body of water, I suggest you contact the division and then volunteer to help stock. I assume the state has certain criteria that a body of water must meet if it is to be regularly stocked... fishing pressure, public access, size of the body of water etc. The waters that receive the most fish are large stretches of river that receive a ton of fishing pressure and have plenty of public access.

And you want kids to fish but you don't care about fishing derbies specifically aimed at getting children out to a stocked lake to fish? [lol] these derbies are a great way to get kids participating in fishing. It is an utter shame that their funding was cut.

Yes, you do need a cdl to drive a stocking truck but not to volunteer. The need for cdl licensed drivers limits the states ability to stock.

As I said earlier, the state does a pretty good job given its limitations. I think we should all be grateful for the efforts of TU and their volunteers who make trout fishing in this state possible.[up]

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
im talking about taking out the family especially the younger ones to catch fish in a relaxed easy going setting..
The lakes aren't fished out yet, just a little more challenging. Take em to Lake Hopatcong State park, picnic tables and grills right next to the fishing and only 50 yds from the parking lot. Toilets too.
Round Yalley, Verona Park etc. Plenty of opportunities till the water warms up, and then the summer fishery takes it's place. Bluegills, bass and perch.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
the younger ones cant stream fish s
Yes they can, if I can find the pictures, I will show you a couple of 3 year olds holding trout they caught out of a stream. All the parent has to do is want to help the kid.
i dont think they do a good job at all considering what we pay
You pay $33 for a fishing license with a trout stamp, any kids under 16 don't pay a nickle to fish. There is no limit how many kids you can help with that $33 license.

do i need a CDL license
Not only do you need a CDL, you need a tank endorsement on that license.

i dont care so much about derbys and such.
You should care about the derby's, they are meant for the kids, so they can catch some fish fairly easy. Not every child has a mentor that can put them onto fish.

Volunteer, my friends and I do.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
do they expect us to get corkers and waders for a 10 year old.
My son has had waders since he's been 6, been fishing with me stream side since he was 4, so YES to answer your question.

why dump thousands of fish in one river when the local ponds and lakes are what get hit up mostly in the early season
Well there you go, you said it yourself,"mostly in the early season". The waters in most of the small lakes and ponds they stock tend to warm very rapidly therefore making them unsutable to sustain the trout, long story short, they die when the water warms to a certain temp.

does the musky really need 47,000 fish.
The Musky is well over 30 MILES long and a lot of easy public access, so if you do the math it's really not that many fish considering.

I would highly recommend trying that river with your family, it's gets stocked every Friday, and is prime for fishing on the weekends. Good Luck[up]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
When you think about the number of waterbodies that get stocked, the number of fish that they are stocking and the fact that it's mostly volunteers, they do a pretty damn good job. They don't always get it right but they're human, they try.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I take my 5 year old to the paulinskill and flatbrook he has been going since he was barely 4 to the rivers. When we go I don't fish I just help him. It is how it works until he gets big enough to fish it alone and stand next to me in the water.. Some day... Try furnace lake in Oxford if you are looking for trout and shore access that is easy fishing for kids.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts