New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm another Pollack, and I want in on this challenge, also!!!!!!

Anywhere upstream of Ken Lockwood Gorge is fair game to me, but if my fellow flyfisherman from Shannon's Fly & Tackle Shop in Califon catch me with a spinning rod in my hands in that section of the river (it's legal to fish w/bait or lure/artificial there, but is taboo amongst flyfishermen, especially if you're a "wormer"), there may be hell for me to pay!!!!:)

· Registered
1,119 Posts
You're absolutely correct WOJ - No bait in the Gorge, but above it is OK.

I never fished the Claremont Section, but I'm sure I could find it. I fished in the Gorge, but preferred some of the areas above the gorge a lot better.

Unbeknownst to most people, during one of the last stockings of that section of the South Branch last year, the stocking truck had problems with the aerator pump, so instead of losing the fish to mortality, the state guys emptied the entire contents of the truck in the stretch of river near the park around the corner from Rambo's Deli in Califon.

I fished the area above the Gorge quite heavily with the Owner of Shannon's Fly & Tackle and one of his previous guides after they closed the shop each day in June, July, August and September last year using the fly rod, only.

I caught and released fish all day from sun up to sundown, and 1 hour into the night almost every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. To catch and release 20+ fish there in a few hours is very common, and there are some monsters there that one can only dream of...I hooked into a rainbow that was every bit of 25", but lost him quickly due to my inexperience with flyfishing (I started in June 2004).

Chris, the previous guide from the shop, hooked into that same fish and had him take his fly reel down to about 10 feet of backing before all of the line would be off of the reel - The fish ran into a downed tree quite a ways downstream and broke off - What a disappointment after fighting the fish for about 20 minutes...But, at least we got to see what a monster fish he really was, and I'll be back for him again to perform CPR (Catch, Photo, & Release)!!!

· Registered
1,119 Posts
WOJ - I saw that pic in your photo gallery previously. That is truly a really nice fish!!!!

I've never caught a Tiger, but have seen some nice one's taken out of Spring Lake over the past few years.

I'm gonna be fishing in the Hunterdon/Warren County Areas every Friday through Sunday afternoon, from opening day through the July 4th weekend.

It'd be nice to hook up (pun intended)with you and some of the other guys after the opening day craze dies down to take on that challenge and "Git-R-Done"!!!! My e-mail is listed in the e-mail section, so please let me know what's going on with "THE CAHLLENGE".

After the 4th of July, I've gotta stay closer to home ("down the shore"), as I promised my saltwater fishing buddies and clamming business partners that I'd knock off the trout fishing on weekends and get back to the saltwater scene earlier this year - Saltwater fishing Mon - Thurs. nights after work from 6:00 PM till 12:00 AM, and clamming all day on Fridays and Saturdays, then fishing all day on Sundays straight through, until the opening of bow season...It's a tough life, but someone's got to do it!!!

Tight lines - Jon T.:p

· Registered
1,119 Posts
OK Woj and Jim -

I know you're in-process of sellin' the house and everything, Woj, but you and Jim posted this "One lure fishing challenge thing" and got interest going BIG TIME, and it appears that there is a lot more interest from others than you could ever have anticipated !!!!

Let's get the ball rolling and get this "CHALLENGE" on the road!!!!!! [up]

As was suggested in an above post, I think that we all should go ahead and have a few "contests" on different streams, rivers and creeks for a few weeks to have some fun and get to meet everyone face to face. [up]

Might I suggest that the South Branch of the Raritan in Clinton be the first river for "THE CHALLENGE" as it's come to be known - Parking on Riverside Ave. (Rd.?) is always good, as is parking at Municapal Hall/Police Headquarters and various places around town within a short walking distance. [up]

Any other stretch of the South Branch will be fair game - The South Branch in Califon has some decent parking, especially when dumping off a few cars/SUVs/trucks at the County Park there.

The honor system must be adhered to - One lure, and only one lure in various sizes may be used !!!! The buddy system is also a pretty good idea, for safety reasons "of course". HeHeHe [smirk]:p

So, is "THE CHALLENGE" gonna be for for the most fish caught on the lure or the biggest fish caught on the lure or BOTH?!?!?!?!?!?!? Can attractant gels/oils be added to the lures or is it only to be fished "as is" out of the package?

Another thing to keep in mind while planning these fishing "CHALLENGE" trips is the parking situations at most of the smaller fishing access hotspots - usually not too good [down], so there may be some squeezing into two or three vehicles to get around - We may have to meet at a place where we can leave the cars for a few hours.

Saturday April 23rd and Saturday April 30th look really good!!!!

One advantage to fishing this coming Saturday April 23rd is that the South Branch gets stocked on Tuesdays (closed stocking),and most tributaries to the South Branch near Clinton get stocked on Wednesday!!!! Should be plenty of fish for ALL!!!!!

...And don't worry about the predicted rain showers...The fish are already wet, and they don't mind, and we all came into the world wet at birth, so we we shouldn't mind either!!!! [smirk]

What does everyone else think about starting "THE CHALLENGE" this Saturday April 23rd in Clinton on the South Branch of the Raritan from 6:00 AM - 12:00 PM - All participants are to meet back at the same place to be predetermined when we get there and meet - Probably Municipal Hall Parking area or Riverside Ave., (Drive)?

Woj and I can provide directions to those who need them. [up]

REPLY BACK ASAP, as I will not have access to this site from Thursday after 4:156 PM 'till Monday morning at 6:30 AM!!!!

TIGHT LINES !!!!!

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Maybe we can try to make this a Sunday thing?

Outlaw - Can you pick me up 100 of those worms you mentioned from Petco for this weekend?

Unfortunatly the only PETCO by me was in Eatontown, but it blew up from a gas leak a month or so ago!!!!! Nothing left but a hole in the ground now, and I can't get access to dig up any remaining worms !!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.