New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Why wait till trout season. Guys are still catching trout in Areoflex in open water now. Still Rainbows in the paulinskill and the peaquest. Get out there guys, still a lot of fish in the rivers..[up]

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Catching lots of BIG rainbows in Pequest and the Black River the past few weeks [up] Fish don't seem to mind the sun ;)

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Warmer water and decent levels mean excellent winter fishing so far. No snow is a non-issue, our watersheds are full as is our ground water. The damned Musky is too high for me to get any permit work done to restore channels so far[wallmad]

But if it stays dry, that should change soon. I may toss a few flies later with my Tenkara fly rod as I'm running out for 2 meetings on the river right now...:)

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Pequest is artificials only right now right?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
smoked trout very yummie...caught 4 rainbows in the paulinskill two weeks ago!

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Pequest is artificials only right now right?
YES

The Pequest River - from the Conrail Railroad bridge, located upstream of the Pequest Trout Hatchery Access Road, downstream to Rt. 625/Pequest Furnace Rd. bridge (approx. 1.4 miles) - is designated as a Seasonal TCA (Trout Conservation Area). All TCS regulations apply during seasonal restriction periods.

(see pg. 21 of the 2012 New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Digest for details)

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2012/digfsh16-23.pdf

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
(approx. 1.4 miles)
Wow the Pequest is only 1.4 miles long?! Who knew?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Wow the Pequest is only 1.4 miles long?! Who knew?
Really? [eek] Seems longer than that... heck, the walk back to my truck from the spillway seems like more than 1.4 miles [hihi]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
There are plenty of trout in the Pequest outside of the TCA;)

I think most casual anglers believe NJ only has spring and fall stocked fish. Most have no clue that we have literally hundreds of miles of wild trout streams or that many of our stocked trout don't get killed each year and hold over. The rivers have plenty if you don't mind colder water. I snuck out a bit today after work :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts