New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat 4/9 and Sun 4/10 fished the falls in Garfield just to see if any stripers or shad in yet. To my surprise I caught a 22" Brook Trout not once but twice on Sat & Sun in the same spot, and took pictures to proove it.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Do you need a license there. I believe thats below the dundee dam and is brackish, I could be mistaken as I never looked into it, YET:D

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
it IS brakish...i went down there today with a buddy and shot a few carp and shad with the bows. tons of fun! i live in clifton so im there pretty often.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
You're allowed to shoot Shad with a bow?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Shad and Carp are just a few of the fish that you can LEGALLY bow hunt!!!! [up]

All species of fish, EXCEPT those that are listed below, can be shot with a bow & arrow with line attached. You must hold a valid NJ Fishing License -See Page 6 of the NJ 2005 F&W Freshwater Fishing Digest or read below:

Fish that are ILLEGAL to bow hunt include: Brook, Rainbow, Brown and Lake Trout, landlocked Atlantic salmon, smallmouth and largemouth bass, striped b [no swearing please] or any of its hybrids, pickeral, northern pike, walleye, muskellunge or any of it's hybrids.[down]

There are special regulations for the Delaware River and Greenwood Lake. [confused]

I would imagine that the 450' from the nearest occupied dwelling rule still applies.[confused]

I wonder, though, "....Unless posted "No Hunting", and provided that you're not tresspassing, it appears that you can pretty much go anywhere with the bow and arrow to bow fish.....? Does anyone know the answer to this? [confused]

Outlaw - I really want to give this a try sometime soon for the carp, and the shad run on the Delaware River. Art's brother-in-law, Jimmy, mentioned that the guys shoot from floating platforms on the river.

We should stop by and see him and check into that more when we're up at the club next weekend. [up]

Also, we can see how MY beautifully mounted Wood Duck is drying/coming along.:p[up]

Maybe I'll bring my bow to work with me one day and I'll meet you at Targeteers parking lot to try out the Carp fishing. Gonna need to get the arrow tips and line spool/reel, though. [cool]

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
its a blast. not sure if it is legal tho...(95% of it is, the only thing is it is fireing a projectile in a city, even tho you are enough distance away from buildings...i heard of someone getting away with it in cedar grove.....the "PO-lice" stopped the guy from deerhunting becasue of the fireing of a projectile in the city. the hunter then called the game warden and he okayed it because he was over 450' of a building. this should be the same for me bowfishing at the river...Gamewardens overrule city cops (thats what i hear)

what i dont get is why you DONT need a bowhunting liscense to bowfish...all you need is a fishing liscense. ( i guess its okay to be ignorant to safety rules for fish but not deer or turkey) go figure![confused]

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i got stopped while shooting in my driveway. im not really IN a city tho. im IN a river;)
im not harming anything..no one is in danger so im not worried about it

where in clifton do you live?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a correction to make. It wasn't a brook trout.Through photos NJ fish and Wildlife confirmed it as a " Tiger Trout " a cross between a female brown and a male brook trout. They said it's probally from a private stocking. A FISHING LICENSE IS REQUIRED FOR THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE PASSAIC RIVER.

Will post the pictures once I figure out how to and what a URL is

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
oo, i live in dutch hill section (right on paulison ave) ever see me driving around? black F150 with "ditch the bitch, lets go huntin'" in the back window? im all over clifton every day. you know weasle brook park, right near the post office...i seen a deer there once...about 10 years ago. must have walked the train tracks from garret mountain. a bunch of us should go shed hunting up there together after turkey season. i found 5 sheds within 50 square yards while turkey hunting the other week... nothing huge..but a decent 8.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Outlaw - Shouldn't you be working today/now at the time of your post at 10:25 AM ?!?!?!?!:p

Or is this your typical hard day of work - (1 PM - 4PM)?!?!?!?!?!?!??! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
My sons and I go to Garret Mt. quite a bit. Some huge bucks there!! I think I have seen your vehichle around town, sounds very familuar. I used to own a pizzeria on Van Houten Ave., across from school #13and believe or not, there was a spike on the school lawn!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 've heard there are Pickeral and Large mouth B [no swearing please] in that part of the Passaic River.I live in Rutherford and would like to give the river a try. Where do you guys recommend fishing on that River.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i caught a large mouth b [no swearing please] there... decent, about 4 lbs. we caught a few stripers too.. small tho.. maybe 2 lbs or so. havent seen pickeral tho but i have seen 2 times a fish called a GAR. i swear they had to be..they had the long skinny snout...not a pickeral or pike or anything. i caught a northern pike in a park next to the 711 up near riflecamp park (the pond with the fountian in it) small pond but you gotta see the stuff we pull out of it! 14 lb catfish....25lb carp, 2 piranahs !!! and a PIKE (they were dumped in the pond by people of course) 2' pike on 4lb test on a trout lure:) the place was awsome until last summer...we went there and found nothing but dead fish along the banks (sunny and bass..some nice size b [no swearing please] too) wonder what happened? hopefully in another month ill go there and pull out some fish again...i hope so.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Caught largemouth & smallmouth over 3lb ,no pickerel but pike well over 36",last year stripers between 22" and 26" and BIG CARP. Best lure to start with is a 2' or bigger white curly tail grub.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fished the passaic River in Rutherford today across the river from Ruts Hut. Caught 3 Catfish from 2 1/2 lbs to 5 lbs. And 1 big ugly EEL about 25" long.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts