New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I pull up to our spot the last day of stocking at the So. Branch. While we are waiting for 5 pm we look off a bridge. We see trouit all over and then we see 7 breeders all about 20". There is no one else around. We get excited and gear up and sneek in the river. Fish are jumping everywhere. 5pm comes and we have 4 fish by 5:03. We are working toward the breeders. All of a sudden there is a very big splash. We stand in shock when we realize a doe has just jumped off the bridge into the river. She goes completely under water, gets up and shakes off and trots right thru the middle of the hole and the middle of the river. The doe was spooked by a car. Needless to say we did not catch anymore fish at that hole. We move to another spot and I limit out while my friend is trying for his 6th he catches a bat. The bat is flying around with his line for about 5 min. before we can get it off. What a night!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i used to fish the south branch off 513. if you made the right off 31 onto 513 and then take that first right and park by the bridge. well if you walk it downstream to the bend, i used to have deer jump off that cliff all the time playing. they would jump in and then climb the wall and do it again. a couple of times they didn't even know or care i was there. it was awesome watching them play.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Great story!!!

WOW!!! I've never seen that happen with a deer, especially there on the S/B.

I have caught a few bats on the fly rod there, though.

There must be a few hundred bats there at night - they climb out of their roosts from under the bridge.

Walking out after dark, my fly rod usually gets smacked at lease five times before I get to my truck!!!!

I usually give a good pull on the line, and the tippet will usually break free, but you'll lose your fly.

If you're using 4# test on a spinning reel, it's a little harder, and best bet is to retrieve as much line as possible (yeah, real 'em in !!!) and cut the line.

How about that female Canadian Goose on the nest under the bridge next to the bridge abuttment?

The male Canadian Goose chases "Bambis Only, a.k.a. -Mike" all around the river if he gets within 50 yds. of the bridge, yet when I fish around there, he swims right next to me (about a foot away), until I gut my fish and feed him the innards!!!!

And, NO Woj, the goose is not lookin' at me in "that" way and vice versa!!!!:D (I had to beat you to the punch on this one!!!:D:D)

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
While we are waiting for 5 pm we look off a bridge. We see trouit all over and then we see 7 breeders all about 20". There is no one else around. We get excited and gear up and sneek in the river. Fish are jumping everywhere. 5pm comes and we have 4 fish by 5:03.
That's why I gave up freshwater fishing. To much like hunting in a high fenced preserve. Which I wouldn't care for either. But I don't knock anyone for their pastimes. To each their own. But I do miss seeing the deer while wading the streams. Don't get much of that on the beach or in the bay, unless you count the 2 legged deer.:D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
jerseyhunter -
That's why I gave up freshwater fishing. To much like hunting in a high fenced preserve.
Try catching those fish in June, July, (I give em' a rest in August so as not to stress them in the heat), then again in Sept. - February.

It's a TOTALLY different expierience than during the stocking time, with most of the fish only taking nymphs and flies.

Matter of fact, a lot of the fish are gulping and taking bugs now, especially March Browns, Hendricksons and Caddis Flies.

Rusty Spinners, Caddis, and green caddis pupa nymphs are HOT right now in most of the area creeks and rivers, especially the S/B.

I watched a flyfisherman on a small creek near Pittstown catch and release some monster trout that us "wormers/meat fishermen" couldn't catch with anything we had in our vests - worms, lures, etc...Nothing worked for us, but he killed the fish!!!

I'm switching over to fly fishing and "catch and release" either this weekend or next, and will only keep a fresh fish or two if I wanna have a fresh trout for dinner. [cool]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am switching to fly fishing too. I go every now and then during stocking season. I go more with my kids when they are stocking. My daughter (age 7)caught 10 and my son (age 4) caught 5 last sunday (with my help). We released most of them and brought home 5 nice trout. Its nice to be out there anytime of the year.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Fly fishing is a whole differnet world, and is a whole different group/type of fishermen.

Catch, Photo, Release (CPR) is the Cardinal Rule.

And you not only are fishing, but you are learning Biology as it relates to the bugs you're trying to match and how to out smart fish with an imitation made of various materials.

It's a graceful, quiet sport that requires much thought, knowledge, skill, and the persistence to practice and better your skills to be able to handle all situations you may encounter on the stream or river.

Just watching someone cast or casting yourself is a wonderful sight to watch and is a great stress buster!!!

I only started flyfishing last June, but I've been taught for free by some of the best fly fishers on the S/B, both professionals and locals who were willing to lend an ear for my questions and provide advice and demonstrations for my benefit .

I'm totally "hooked" on fly fishing, and have caught numerous fish to date!!!!

I can't wait to get back on the rivers and streams to enjoy fishing at its best, and to learn some more this year!!!

TIGHT LINES - JT[up]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts