New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i traveled all around northern Sussex county, trout fishing. i caught nothing. was i using to big of test? i had 8 lb test. and i had all sorts of bait, so i don't think i was going wrong on bait choice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For trout use 2 lb to 4 lb test. 8lb is too big it spooks them. I find the biggest mistake trout fisherman make is not working an area long enough. They move to a new spot too fast. Yesterday we killed them with trout worms and a split shot about 12 inches above the hook. You need to get the bait along the bottom.

When I gutted my trout yesterday I found worms, snails and orage powerbait in the gut. hope this helps

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you! it was my first day ever trout fishing. i used orange and green powerbait, worms, imitation nymphs, minnows. i used like everything haha. some of you may have seen me, i was fishing the paulinskill near sussex skyhawks stadium and then also on augusta hill road in branchville. i think im gonna go get some lighter test, thats clear, today. then go fishing later after church.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Eastern Cougar,

Eight pound wouldn't help you, but it certainly wouldn't shut you out either. More likely than not you either weren't fishing where there were a lot fish, (or any fish), or you were fishing were others had fished it hard first.

This time of year if you are looking to catch fish in large numbers using a small roostertail, regardless of the whether you are using 8lb test, is your best shot. If they are there, at the very least you will be getting "flashes". More importantly it allows you to cover a lot of water so you don't spend time dredging the bottom in dead water with bait. Believe me I have been a crazy trout fisherman for the better part of 30 years, (I am only 35), and I can tell you that a guy that knows how to fish a roostertail on opening day will always outfish a baitfisherman! (The obvious reason being that the roostertail fisherman can cover far more water and make presentations to fresh fish as they constantly move to fresh water...The only exception being in extremely high spring flood waters, in which case no one does well.) Case in point last week in less than a few hours I caught well over 30 trout on roostertails and left them biting....

JC

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Damn JC you do know everything....LOL

Eastern get 4lb line and use a rooster tail or a small panther martin, gold blade black body..the classic panther martin....Your from Vernon? Try fishing the walkill river...

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
When I was younger the highest I ever used was 6lb for lake and muddy water fishing, now it's usually4 and sometimes 2. Also you want to bump the bottom with the tiniest split shot that will get the job done about 18" above your hook.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i use 4lb test (smoke green) color, number 8 hooks, and put a small split shot on depending on the current to keep it bounceing off the bottom. i usually keep in about 12-14" above the hook. my number one go to bait is mealworms, but i always carry salmon eggs(pink) which worked good yesterday, and i throw powerbait if they won't bite anything else. and i use panther martin spinners

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the lake i fish this is what i use 6lb line (clear)
#10 hook,3/0 split shot, mealworm and waxworm on the same hook. the spillway/creek i put the float 12-14" above the hook,the lake i'll put the float 3-5' above it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eastern if you are out and about next weekend pm me and we can join up. You can save a lot on the learning curve with hands on learning. I am always more then willing to share the info I have been so foutunte to have been shown at an early age. I am no Lee Wolf but I can usally get a few to the net.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
$lb test Yozuri-hybid in smoke color is strong and durable and blends well with the water. either flip a rooster tail or tiny gold spinner reeled in slow or use a small size 8 Gamagatzi hook with eihter a small live minnow or wax worm fished a bout 3-4 foot under a small bobber. Stay away from swivels and split shot and keep it simple.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
tiny white panthern martin silver spoon and white spotted body with red hair on the tip. Literally caught 6 fix in 10 cast yesterday, love the panthers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rooster Tail Trout Trophy Pac is good. The panther martins are great! My new thing is a 1/32 oz. jig with new berkley gulps nightcrawlers. They come in 6 inch but I cut 'em in 1/2 and jig 'em along the bottom. We killed opening day with that set up at pequest.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I agree with JC, not the best choice of line but it wouldn't be a show stopper all together on stocker trout. Some lines like Magnathin makes 8lb test the diameter of the average 4 lb line. I use 2-6 lb depending on rod and river being fished. 4 lb is probably the perfect in my opinion. Keep at it. move around some also. If you don't get any hits in a pool in a half hour or so find another spot and keep moving..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Make sure you keep the line off the water and you can feel it bouncing the bottom. I prefer to use 2-4lb test on a super ultra light 6'6" 0r 7' Ugly Stick Lite with an ultra light reel that holds 100 - 120 yds of line.It seems to give more control over the drift with the longer rod.Most only use 4'6"-5'6"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.