New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the first week coming to a close here is my report. Opening day i smartened up this year and went out at around 1pm and stayed away from well known spots, my fiance and i found ourselves fishing alone on some small creeks and by 4pm both of us had our limits ( all brookies, All were grilled that night[tasty]) Sunday i went fishing by myself and again avoided the popular holes and stretches of river and in a bout 2 hours had my limit (4 brookies, and 2 browns). Last weekend the rivers and creeks were slow, low and clear. The slow moving water give the fish to much time to study the bait so tiny hooks and good line were important. Went out every day after work this week so far and did well. Caught my limit every day and have been eating trout like an otter. Few more limits for the freezer and ill be set for smoking a bunch this summer, catch and release after that. I used a variety of meal worms, butter works, night crawlers and fat heads for live bait. For metal i used 3 different variety of panther martins, 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 with a tuft of fur on it. Also some phoebes and some 1/4 oz joes flies, in a bunch of different colors although (just like every year) black feather with silver spoon seemed to be the best. Also on average butter worms outperfomed meal worms and fatheads. With this rain the rivers should be up considerably. I have been fishing, Big Flatbrook, little flatbrook, clove brook, culvers brook, dry brook, papakating and a few others. Big flat gets stocked today and you can fish at 5 but im working late tonight. I will be out tomorrow afternoon and sunday again. Love this time of year.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flatbrook as of this morning was probably up about 4 or so inches and brown soup but the rain is slowing so hopefully it will settle down a bit. I have caught some of my biggest trout though in brown water during storms, never know!Good luck as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts