New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a photo of the tripod I like to use the best. Not the cheapest on the market but it is made of carbon fiber and very light. Easy to carry on long turkey walks. When hunting I use a leafy wear material cover which hides both the camera and tripod. Hope it helps. You can see the make and model of the tripod but I can't honestly remember what I paid for it.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
This is a very good tripod. It will cost you about 320 bucks though for this model. Slik makes tripods as low as 89.99 though

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice set up HighGuy, what camera is that? almost looks like a PD170. here's the set up I use, it's not professional, but it gets the job done. tripod is a Manfrotto 055XWNB.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do have a nice set up too. This is just one of the cameras I use. I like it because it is small and can shoot in DVCAM mode if I choose. It is a professional Sony DSR PK10 I have had it for a few years and I am not sure it is still offered from Sony. I would guess with all the new HD models that it is not.:D

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
tripod is a Manfrotto 055XWNB.
I like the Manfrottos, Mine is a 190XWNB.
They adjust from ground level to Eye level and all heights in between.
Here's my set up.

Ground Level

Machine gun postion..VERY STABLE !

Eye Level

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a very nice set up GG. I have also used them before. I find that I don't need one that will go to the ground as I only video from the sitting position on a small light weight tripod chair. After shooting hundreds of turkey hunts the system that I found works the best for me is me on my tripod chair with my shooter or shooters on the Everywhere chair. I normally sit right behind my shooter just to his right or between two shooters. I will try to take a couple of quick shots of what the setup looks like to give you a better idea. Give me a few minutes. :D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just took these in my back yard. I am by myself so i had no one to "sit and pose"
I will be using the system on Wednesday and Thursday of this coming week in PA with my two sons. I will take some actual in use field shots that will really show how good this works out. These chairs are all very light weight and I can tell you having hunted in states that allow all day turkey hunting. these chairs are so comfortable for the shooters that they often fall asleep in them! LOL. The best part of having the chairs is that you do not need a tree behind you. We all wear leafy where and often set up in hedge rows We have just sat down on the edge of fields many times with very good results. I think this will give you a good idea of how neat this system is!:D

·
Registered
804 Posts
G.G.

I like the camo ghillie you have over the camera. does it interfere with camera operation at all?

·
Registered
804 Posts
HighGuy,
That's a nice set up. it sure beats sitting on the ground. Do you get busted at all while sitting in the chairs?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that my friend is another story! The only way I have done it is like you do, shooting from a ground blind. Lots of extra work but as you know, it can be very rewarding. I am going out tonight but I will send to an E-mail tomorrow. I would like to send to send you a couple of my television shows on a DVD. That will show you my set up in action. Check E-mail tomorrow![up]:D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike K. No we don't. Like in any set up, if you don't move you don't get busted. Actually I like sitting on my video chair because I usually can see the gobbler before my shooters do.:D

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thats alot of equipment to carry around. But looks nice. Thats the one thing about doing self filmed hunts like i am doing. Got nobody to help lump stuff. I had my Turkey vest loaded down with about 8 calls. and 3 decoys. Then ground blind on shoulder straps on top of the Vest. Chair slung over 1 shoulder, Gun over the other. Camera mounted to the tripod in my hands. What a workout. Last week was funny . when i got my bird. Just one more thing to carry. I need to hire a Mule team

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Self filmed hunts are tough no matter what. Actually I am amazed at how many of you guys film you own hunts. It gives me an idea for another post. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i am the only person of all the guys that i hunt with that Turkey hunt so i have no choice... Now deer season that is another deal... i will hunt alone till i get my Buck. Then be filming for anyone who will let me tag along. I want to gain as much time behind the camera as Possible. Last year i tagged out on my doe and a 125 inch 8point all in the first week. Then had to sit out till extended bow rolled around.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Great set ups and thanks for sharing. At least we all can be in the ball park as to which tripod to purchase. It is time for me to upgrade. I had a lower quality Silk tripod but it has busted at certain points due to hunting hard.

Again, great tips on set ups[up][up]

Shoot Straight!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts