New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just cook the meat over 160 degrees,and you don't have to worry.

Reactions: Bucksnbows

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pork only has to legally be cooked to 155 to be considered safe to eat. Take your temp from the thickest part of the meat with a probe thermometer. You're more likely to get lysteriosis from deli meat than trichinosis from properly cooked meat.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
After watching the Steve Rinnella video on him getting Trichinosis it made me think about shooting one, I still might but wonder if meat can be tested and by who? ? who? ? dam owls never work want when you need a seriouse answer

Reactions: Stan Putz

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
If you want to shoot a bear but don't want the meat, feel free to pass it my way :)

Reactions: chefhunter34

·
Registered
291 Posts
Basically, assume your bear is infected. Last year EVERY case of Trichinosis in the US was caused by bear meat. The safe temp is 160, but I would account for any possible variable and cook to 165 minimum plus 5-8 minute rest period before cutting into any non-ground cuts. It's delicious, but the painful horror stories are not worth it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i was just reading something about this the other day. basically it said that in the population they were testing, by the time the bears were 6 years old, 100% of them had trichinosis. so you pretty much just need to assume that it is infected and cook it accordingly. i'll try to find the link to the article.

edit: it was actually a blog post by none other than... steve rinella: http://www.petersenshunting.com/uncategorized/steven-rinella-the-bear-facts-on-trichinosis/
i guess he should have followed his own advice and been more careful

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
If you're worried, use a meat thermometer whenever you cook bear meat or pork. It takes the guess work out 100%. The bottom line is that trichinosis cannot survive above 160 degrees F, so cook to at least that temp internally and you're perfectly safe. Chicken by far gets more people sick than all other meats combined and by a far margin.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
This board has a reading comprehension problem. On one side you have people bragging about who can eat more raw bear meat and on the other side you have people who are afraid to eat bear meat. Just cook it to the recommended temperature!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.