New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This occurred on the private property I hunt on in Frelinghuysen on the 1st day of muzzleloader.

During the extended bow season one of the other guys that hunts the property noticed a ladder stand set up about 100 feet from his tree stand. He thought I put it there, but he knew I know where his stands area, so he was confused. Well on opening day of muzzleloader he sees a flashlight heading towards this ladder stand. He decides to get out of his stand and find out if it was me.

Well he gets to the ladder stand and the guy never even shines his flashlight to alert my buddy where he was. My buddy shines his light up the ladder stand and asks the guy "whose property are you hunting on?" The guys responds with "whose property are you hunting on?" My buddy responds with "I have been hunting this property for 18 years and I have never seen you." The guys response was, "I have exclusive rights to hunt this property and you are trespassing." My buddy says, "my father has known the property over since he was 10 and that is well over 50 years. I am not trespassing you are.? The guy told him to "F" off. My buddy said he was going to get the lease holder. The said go ahead.

My buddy gets the lease holder and drives over to the stand. Once again the guy in the stand never alerted them to his where abouts when the walked in. The lease holder asked him who he was and he reponsed that he had exclusive rights along with a Paterson police officer and that the lease holder was trespassing. Again he was corrected about who was trespassing and he told the lease holder to "F" off 15 times. The lease holder, actually property, told him that he was going to call the state police. At this time the guy in the tree stand is very confontational. The property manager and my buddy left at his time.

My buddy went to another stand location and saw this guy walk out around 830. He hopeed that this guy wouldn't see him, but he was wrong. This guy walked under my buddy's stand and said, "hey trespasser, what are you still doing here?" My buddy replied that the State Police had be called and it be in his best interest to leave. The guy went on his way to where is truck was parked. (It was parked in front of the cable that crossed the roadway into the fields.) My had parked his truck near the roadway. Well his spots this guy doing something near his truck. He figures he better get out of the tree and find out what this delusional guys is doing. He walks up to him and asks where he is doing. He doesn't have a straight answer and again comments out my buddy trespassing. My buddy responds with, "If I am the one trespassing, why do I have a key to the locks and I am driving on the property while you are blocking the access roads?" Again he got hostile and my buddy left to find the property manager. The property manager happened to be on the phone with the state police which were on the way. My buddy meets the state police on 519.

The first trooper follows my buddy to the property and this is what he sees. The property manager is attempting to stop the vehicle from leaving and the guy is trying to run over the property manager. The trooper saw this and blocking the vehicle in. 6 troop cars showed up with 10 troopers. All this and no one pressed charges. They just wanted him removed. He ended up being a LT in the Paterson Fire Department.

Before he left he asked if he can come back to get his ladder stand. The property manager said he can take it down at that time. It is still there. I don't think charges will be brought forth. The property owners cousin told the guy he can hunt there, but never told anyone. Needless to say he is still not permitted to hunt there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
dont you just love that, all you want to do is enjoy yourself in the field and some idiot has to screw your whole day up. Why cant people just be nice, all he had to do is get down and talk it out, not be a deek about it.

G

·
If he lease it, under your contract does it say you have exclusive rights? I for one would of had charges brought up on him, this way word gets around that you guys aren't playing games

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Dont let that be a reflection on all firefighters!! The guys I know would never do that. Looks like you got yourself a ladder stand out of the deal![up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he lease it, under your contract does it say you have exclusive rights?
We don't lease. The property owner in my aunt's step father and everyone that hunts there are long time friends of him and their kids.

Dont let that be a reflection on all firefighters!! The guys I know would never do that
Elmo, I don't. Being and EMT and police dispatcher I have many friends that are firefighters. My cousin is a paid fire captain. Like them all.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Just curious--WHO decided not to press charges?

[confused]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The property manager. I hope the property owner decides too, but I would think it could be tough without witnessing it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sounds like a tough guy or just plain dumb!
He would have only got half of the second GFY out before he would have been spitting out his canines. That is why we all should keep our $250 bail money handy. Let him call the cops on you. I doubt very much, that he would do this. I'm not for taking the law in my own hands, but well after all everybody handles it this way and it remains to happen. Dare to be rare and get a little creative with handling these problems.

Ryan

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I don't think charges will be brought forth. The property owners cousin told the guy he can hunt there, but never told anyone
This tells me that the guy probably atleast thought he did have permission, and was not overtly trespassing, if at all. He may have thought your buddy was the one messing up his day...who knows, sounds like there is more information to be uncovered.

Either way, it's not an uncommon experience in NJ, which is a shame.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I deal with this kind of crap every year. This year I had it out with one of the Hunting Clubs that always tressp [no swearing please] on private property. Matt witnessed the can of "Whoop Ass" I opened on roughly 18 hunters all by myself as Matt and Frank stood in the wings just in case. It never ends does it?

G

·
they aren't hunters, they are what I call AHOLES. they have no respect for peoples lands, there privacy, they feel they can go where they please, they have no morals

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sounds like a real nice guy![down]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't think charges will be brought forth.
I totally disagree with not pressing charges. An example needs to be made. Especially since the guy was an ass. I had problems with quad riders on a property I used to hunt years ago in Mt. Olive. Every weekend, it never failed, they were tearing it up while my friends and I were hunting, and yes, this was private property. The posted signs every ten feet were of no help, because they were constantly being torn down. It actually went on year round. Eventually we decided to confront them for the ump-teenth time, called in the police and pressed charges. Lo and behold the free for all quadding stopped.:D[up]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.