New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my stand in the tree all summer - is that a problem when the tree grows a little in diameter? Any chance the growing tree bent anything?, or am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
it could be. you should adjust it each season. I have had stands in the past where they were up for 5 years or more and they were fine. The problem is that if you don't make the adjustment each year you will have to replace the strap or chain because you will have to cut it off the tree it will be so tight when yo want ot relocate the stand.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Not only does the tree grow and put pressure on the strap/chains but the UV Rays can effect the straps. the rain and snow will rust the metal parts, freezing can crack the tube framing and critters can chew on parts.

Ofcourse none of this will happen if someone steals it first.

Check your stand carefully before you climb aboard!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
One thing I noticed with Lone Wolf stands and sticks there straps have in service dates on them.

Thats what worries me with leaving stands out. Unless you have it chained instead of a strap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Usually the straps stretch a bit each year.
i just snug them up a click or two on the ratchet.
I do check the strap as I have had some fray and look suspect so I replaced them.
Just be care full going up as I did have a strap loosen up and the stand shifted as i was going up.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
If left long enough, I've actually seen it where the tree has started to grow around the strap. Whether or not the stand is still safe to use, it all depends. The straps really are not meant to take the constant abuse from being exposed to the elements 24/7. A number of factors, such as UV rays, weather and animals, can affect them. Make sure you thoroughly check them first. Same with any bolts and screws on the stand itself. These will rust and weaken over time. And make sure you've got your safety harness on before putting all of your weight on the stand. If your ever in doubt, just replace the strap. A new strap is a lot cheaper than a hospital bill or even worse.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
I left a couple up and one was in a pine tree ,I went to put out a cam last week and checked my stand and found out that being lazy sucks ,all the sap dripped on my seat .I now have to take it down and clean it .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.