New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the average height you guys go in your stands.

Hang on, climbers, etc.

I have a hang on at 14 feet, and in my climber I climb until the platforms not level anymore.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I used to climb well into the 25foot mark, however i now use scentlock and hunt according to the wind, so I have come down to the 15-18 foot area, sometimes less. last week I shot a doe from an old gnarly tree and i was 10 feet up with the wind in my face.
Those high shots are really tough also specially with deer that are close.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
On avg. about 18-20 feet. But Ive hunted as low as 8 feet and as high as 35.

No matter how high though, I try to find good cover. Thats the deciding factor in how high. Be it two or three trees grouped together, or a limbless climbing tree nestled into some pine branches or thick foliage of some sort. Im not worried about getting the scent above them, mostly just seeking good cover.

[up]

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
20-25 feet, like flipper said when the tree allows it a climber is the easiest way to hang a loc on for me when you cant use the climber i use a strap or my climbing belt so i can use both hands.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
My stands are all set at 30 - 38 feet high. It does get a little tough shooting from that height sometimes when the wind blows [sad] It's tough holding on and shooting a bow at the same time. Also, when the deer are less than 15yds. out it creates an almost straight down shot. I find that aiming 2" below the spine will angle the arrow through at least one lung.
This one is 35' up.

My buddies call them my SKYSCRAPER stands

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
20-25 feet, like flipper said when the tree allows it a climber is the easiest way to hang a loc on for me when you cant use the climber i use a strap or my climbing belt so i can use both hands.
I never thought about using the climber to put the hang on up, great idea!!! Now I have to sneak out afterwork with my climber!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts