·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a tree stand.
1) I never used one
2) I'll be using it at Public Lands
3) Have to carry it everytime
4) I like Ladder stands, however can you carry it?

Any opinion! Climbing? Ladder?

·
11,226 Posts
Get yourself a good climber for public lands! They are light and easy to carry! After using it a couple of times you will love it! It takes a little getting used to at first but it is an awesome way to hunt. A ladder stand is great for places where it is less likely to get stolen! Ladder stands are not for carrying in and out the same day! Too heavy, too much work! I use both but the climber is my public land stand![up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Ladder stands are designed to be put on a tree and left there. Go with a climber. Most are reasonably lightweight and the best part of them is that you can hook it up to one tree and then if the situations warrant it, you can easily move to another tree.

Most people will tell you that Summit's are the best.

David

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
if you got the 350.00 to spend go with the lone wolf sit and climb. just an awsome climbing stand: packs flat, only weighs 19 pounds, sets up really easy, and is super confortable. a little pricey but well worth it....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I just upgraded to a equalizer treestand and its fantastic, it weighs in at 20lbs and is extremely comfortable. I also have a timbertall, a super light adjust in the tree treestand, another nice treestand.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I use several different types. It's all according to where, when and how long. I use a climber, sometimes, but use a Chippewa Loc-On. I leave the mounting harness( I have 5) in the tree and carry in the loc-on. I install the screw-in steps hoist the 8lbs stand and slide it on the harness. Very simple, fast and most importantly quiet. I use my climber only if A) I don't have to carry it far. B) If I'm staying long then three hours. I do use a ladder stand from time to time. Look at the weights when you buy a stand. Also, buy it local if you can, so you can see it, fell it and make sure it's what you want. I bought one one time, didn't like it and when I climbed down at the end of the hunt, I just left it there. I went back by it several times before someone took it. If it had been up in a tree, I'm sure someone would have taken it sooner. Also, if you lock it to a tree, use 1/2 cable(make your own)and buy a lock that features a closed bolt. There is nobody in the woods that can steal it, I promise. I have seen where someone has tried to steal mine and could not get anything to cut the cable or lock. They ever shot the lock. LOL never stole it though. Hey! A$$hole how do you like me now.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I'm a climber convert.

They have improved much in the last few years.

Weight is a big issue. I bought after market pack-straps for mine. The straps that came with it were useless.

Inspect as many 'assembled' climbers you can. Get a sense of the weight that will be on your back during your hike.

Once you've narrowed it down - see the stand unassembled.

With a lot of hunting gear - the instructions are somewhat deficient. I went back to the store to make sure I had assembled my stand properly.

Once assembled, practice feild assembly and tree attachment. Practice climbing. It will get your abs in shape if you do it often.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Once assembled, practice feild assembly and tree attachment. Practice climbing. It will get your abs in shape if you do it often.
I totally agree with pla's comments about practicing setting up your treestand. Do it in the dark, and on various trees of different sizes types. You'll find that most trees taper as they go up, some more than others. You'll need to set your stand up based on how much they taper. Only experience will help with this.

As far as getting your abs in shape. My Buckshot climber requires little if no effort to ascend/descend.

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts