New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there must be others that have had the squirrels and ***** eat their lock on tree stand seats?! I don't know what it is, maybe the foam smells like food? Whatever it is, several of my stands seats were destroyed last season and need to be replaced. A quick search on the net shows only a few and all are brand specific. Has anyone replaced their tree stand seats with an after market seat? How about replacing it yourself by getting new foam and some type of quiet outdoor camo fabric? Seems like an easy fix if you can find the right fabric. Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This happened to us quite a few times. We used pieces of that egg crate type foam (shaped like an egg crate) and just cut some old camo. clothes for the fabric. We cut out a piece of plywood and bolted through, than just stapled the fabric to the bottom side of the plywood. Worked just as good if not better because you could add a little more cushion to the seat.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Summit makes a great one that you can strap to the tree. To be honest regardless of whether I'm using a portable or a climber I use my Summit climber top as my seat. When hunting a portable it makes me feel safer having the bar all the way arround me. I have two ropes on either side of the tree when I go in the morning one for my bow and one for my climber top. I learned this technique from Bushnlo. It really makes the all day sits comfortable.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
SMT..absolutely re-make the seats yourself....it's a cheap and easy fix to the problem.....have done it several times myself....while youre at it...if the stand is attached to the tree with a strap and not a chain...check the strap...had a tree-rat chew on one a few years back...definitely not safe

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deerjerky, where did you get the foam, at a craft store? I just found a camo fabric supplier on the net and sent them an email looking for a quiet fabric like fleece that was durable and waterproof. If I get a response I will post it here for anyone else who can use the info.

Ultra, thanks for the suggestion, won't work for my application but a good idea either way.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Yeah staps should be changed yearly.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
chain stands should be inspected and adjusted.

·
Registered
383 Posts
SMT-Not sure where my dad got that foam, we always used it for under the sleeping bags when camping. I do remember seeing a store I used to pass on the way to work in Manville that sold foam like I'm talking about. I think this is the info:
J P Upholstery
108 S Main St
Manville, NJ 08835
(908) 231-0772‎

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those that were wondering the same as me, I found an online fabric place rockywoods.com that sells all kinds of camo fabric. I ended up ordering 3 samples (3'x3' each) of outdoor camo upholstery fabric for $5 shipped! Should be enough to do at least 3 stands. Fabric was intended for outdoor use like boats, atv's, campers, etc. All I need to do now is find the foam and I am golden.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
looking good![up]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deerjerky, SWEET!

Update on my project, that great find I thought I made for fabric was to good to be true. The 3x3 sample pieces were inches not feet! LOL! So the fabric came, seemed high quality, had very little scent, and seemed to be water proof so I ordered enough for 3 stands, more like $25 then the original $5 but still not bad. Will get some foam this weekend and put them together.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Sumitt makes a nice one. My Northwoods seat went when it warmed and I gained some weight. I took the plastic seat off and traced it on a piece of poplar, cut it with a jig saw and reglued a 1" thick piece of foam on it. it's more comfy and durable now than when new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.