New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between purchasing a Climbing Tree Stand or a ground blind. Both seem to offer pretty good benefits, but I'm not sure which is better. The tree stand would be nice because it puts you above the deer, so scent is less of an issue and its more comfortable, but a ground blind is less expensive and it is more portable. Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Being you are a new hunter I would say Ground Blind. You won't see as much as if you were in a tree but it is more forgiving on movement. Most of your scent will stay inside and you will have the benefit of staying dry if it rains or snows. I would stay away from Climbers until you get some time under your belt. Ladder stand should be your next move.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Get a climbing stand. It will give you more options. Get yourself a good stand. Like a summit or lonewolf. Then get get yourself a good harness. Take it out and practice with it before you hunt. The new climbers are easy to use.

Reactions: DamianNapo

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mixed answers so far, but it seems like climbing stands is taking the lead. Thanks everyone so far for the input! @stevo has some good points about being more forgiving to movement and most of the scent being trapped in, plus some scent blocker or maybe even deer scents on it would help improve the scent as well. @hunterbob1 I looked them up and the first thing I saw was "Baker Death Trap" are you trying to get me killed??? lol! @Bill43 they look pretty simple, ill do a bit more research on those brands and pick out which ones I like and compare it to the potential benefits of a blind.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
So many choices lol early 70s when I started there was only one climbing tree stand it was the baker later to be called the Widowmaker I didn't have $70 for it so I found a tree I could climb up in and stand up in the crotch up to 8 hours with the harsher weather coming and you're not into bowhunting yet you'll be safer in a ground blind to start. It's true climbers are invaluable.But for right now you're hunting state land.You can get a ladder stand and you could cable it up but it might not be there when you get back and other people use it.The biggest mistake a new hunter make's is that they get busted by movement.Until you learn how deer react go the ground blind.I Googled ameristep doghouse, right now dicks has them for sale for $60 regular $90 free shipping.http:// http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/products/ground-blinds.jsp

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you just throw up a ground blind and don't have a good spot to brush it in quick it takes the deer a little while to get used to it.Get a climber and practice on a strait tree or telephone pole.You will be more mobile.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So many choices lol early 70s when I started there was only one climbing tree stand it was the baker later to be called the Widowmaker I didn't have $70 for it so I found a tree I could climb up in and stand up in the crotch up to 8 hours with the harsher weather coming and you're not into bowhunting yet you'll be safer in a ground blind to start. It's true climbers are invaluable.But for right now you're hunting state land.You can get a ladder stand and you could cable it up but it might not be there when you get back and other people use it.The biggest mistake a new hunter make's is that they get busted by movement.Until you learn how deer react go the ground blind.I Googled ameristep doghouse, right now dicks has them for sale for $60 regular $90 free shipping.http:// http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/products/ground-blinds.jsp
Thanks Bob, I'll check them out. Always bringing the good advice

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I like using loc-ons. They are easy to hang and not that expensive. I usually leave the last three steps out so know one else can get in it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Climber makes you more mobile if you need to change locations. Just make sure you buy a rope style harness so that you are tied in while you are climbing. I have hang ons, ladders, a blind , and a climber but the climber definitely gets more use than all the others combined.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
I have had plenty of success out of a blind with good placement and brush in. My climber days are over to much work for this old beat up body. I prefer ladder stands but I'm on private property.
Good luck with your choice. Just PRACTICE if you go climber

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ground blind all the way. Like said before dog house .I own 3 move them around as needed. The deer do not care. Have even set up and hunted the same day.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I went to a ground blind about four years ago and never looked back. As Stevo said, much more forgiving as far as movement goes and sent control. Plus with the right chair it makes for a lot more comfortable sit for those long days. You're also able to get much closer to what you are hunting, that was a big plus for me. Another thing you can do is get one of those little heater's in there, and that's pretty nice come winter bow. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: DamianNapo

·
Registered
803 Posts
It depends where you're hunting but if you're in the woods and not hunting fields, I'd go climber with a good harness. Not quite as easy as a pop-up blind, but if you practice with it I believe you'll have a better chance at seeing deer. As others stated, you'll be much more visible to the deer so be sure to conceal your movements. Any movement should be slow and deliberate. If you're antsy and move a lot, go for the blind.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'd get a climber and hold off on the lock-ons and ladder stands and blind.

I am new to the sport only 3 years but my mistakes are others fast learning curve, Climber will help you figure out what the deer are doing and trails they take most. once you zero in then a lock-on is gloden to slide in and out very quietly.

Ladder stands and ground blind are way more intrusive learned that just a few weeks ago when the deer completely stopped coming into a usually high traffic area. People told me don't it's intrusive but I am stupid sometimes and need to learn the hard way. Ladder stand should be put up in late spring early summer if possible so the deer get used to it same as ground blinds.

Ground blind as great in fields or near thick cover but need to be brushed in well because if you set up shop they will know that this thing was never there before and never really come in. I found this out 2 years ago.

I am not a pro, I am a novice just trying to give you some advice that I learned through mistakes lol.

Oh and when choosing a tree for a climber , height means nothing you need to have plenty of background cover so if you're only 8' of the ground with great cover you're golden the less cover the higher you climb.

Good Luck and if you need any help PM me

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I will admit that the number one reason I switched to a climber is the fact that everything else got stolen. Bring it in, bring it out.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Go with the climber. It gives you a better field of view and better shot angles at deer. Plus it's easier to transport and move spots and it will make you a better hunter in terms of learning how deer move and their patterns

Also when you do get an arrow to pass through you will be able to find it easier to see what kind of hit you have from when you shoot from above.

Also with a ground blind unless you have complete darkness inside the blind, the deer will see you. Where as when you're above you can get nice and high up the tree so the deer will have a harder time smelling you and seeing you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts