New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
This may be a dumb question but what do they propose you use? I think the leghold traps have been banned, so if they ban snares......whats left? havahart traps?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
oh boy keep up on this one

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't think anyone in the northern region knows about this, at least it was never mentioned at any meetings. The fur biologist didn't even mention it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sounds like New Jermany , slide it through without telling anyone, its easier to pass that way.

Good luck guys!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
OK....Back when the foothold ban was proposed, we didn't have social media..And the bow and gun hunters didn't offer much support to the trappers...Result is obvious.

Now we have social media to communicate with one another, So my question is...
How many non-trappers on this site would be willing to support the trappers in anyway possible ?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Just to give a flavor to who one of the sponsors of this is (LINDA R. GREENSTEIN) check this article out from this past May:

New Jersey Democrat's Epic Freakout - The Daily Beast

A prominent New Jersey Democratic activist who asked to remain anonymous told The Daily Beast that Greenstein is, "erratic…People in the room were probably confused. She has a history of erratic and confusing behavior."
Alllll righty then.... I swear, how do these people get elected??

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You got that right Trapper, and they just re-elected them all back in. And we wonder why this state leads the way in everything bad and costly. Dems have had control of this state for 23 years and we all just bend over and take it hard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok this is just what I did. Feel free to cut and paste and/or adept to yourself.SO I am currently sending emails to legislators - it is pretty easy. Go to NJ Legislature - Our Legislature
On the left side of the page see Members heading and under that Find your Legislator - this will direct you to your legislative district member page you will see a shining picture of your smiling representative - find their email address and click it and you will be able to simultaneously email all of your representatives. This is the email I sent:
...To all concerned parties,
Senate bill S2538 has been introduced to eliminate the use of snares in the trapping of wildlife in the State of New Jersey. This bill will eliminate a sound wildlife management tool that has been proven to be effective in the control of predators in the State. I represent over 1500 trappers and many more sportsmen of this state. We are vehemently opposed to this legislation for many reasons. If this is allowed to pass the only tool available to control k-9 predators in this state will be made illegal. Snares have been safely and effectively used in this state for furbearer management for over 30 years. They have been deployed by NJDF&W trained trappers for literally millions and millions of trap night with virtually no conflict with non trappers.
Other reasons this bill S2538, will be bad for all residents of New Jersey will be the damage to property, crops and livestock statewide. This will result in economic hardships. Also trapping is responsible for over a million dollars per year in New Jersey through license sales (state revenue), retail sales(equipment, gasoline, clothing) and fur sales. Last but not least by any means, the snare is the only effective tool to control Top predators in this state such as the coyote. Coyote populations are rebounding in the state to the highest levels anyone alive has been witness to. This year alone there were at least 2 reported attacks on humans by coyotes.
The NJDF&W conducts about 6 classes per year with an average of 50-60 people per class. We will have a tremendous influence on this issue. Please consult the NJDF&W furbearer management team for any questions you may have on these issue. Please do not disregard sound management principles and proven safe techniques for the ANTI-Trapping/Hunting agenda.
I look forward to hearing from your office.
Regards
W. Andy Janson

1 - 20 of 80 Posts