New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have several Ponds here on the Farm. All of which flow into each other. Except when "MR. BEAVER" decides to raise the water level in his little Pond.
He's actually kinda cute, swimming back and forth in front of us within just a few feet. He smacks hit tail, dives under, only to come back up within just a few feet of us. He's even been given the nickname "The BEAV" by us
The Beav

But my back can't handle the daily ROTO ROOTERING of the drain pipes [cry]
Every day we clean it out, and every night he redams it up [mad]

I have lotsa friends that Trap, but none LIVE TRAP and RELOCATE. And this is what we want. I'm not looking to hire anyone, but am wondering if anyone is up to the challenge..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Curious,

Is it possible to "close" the gate on your drain pipe at night? Without the water flowing he might not dam it up. Then in the am open it up again?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Call F&G they will & does relocate beaver. If they can't get to it fast. Ask to borrow a hancock trap & I'll catch it for you.
Just shoot the damn thing
Why shoot it? The posts would be different if it was a deer in a garden.
I agree. It's pest control, not hunting.
The beaver does more for wildlife than any other animal.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you can get a sizable piece of pvc pipe in there, the water would still run. Like a piece of 8 inch and it has to be like 6 feet. He can not damn that and hopefully will move on. Or you can just shoot him.

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Na, theres gota b a solution to the problem here. I think it would be cool 2 have a beaver in a pond (if I had a good size pond) Dont shoot it...Maybe theres a way 2 allow water to flow even if he tries to dam it up. I gota look at that pic and do some thinkin, theres gota b a good way besides removing him, theyre cool

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i heard this done with mink, but i would think it could be done with a beaver, take some pvc (big enough diamater for him to fit in) cap one end and put bait in the capped end by one of his runs or trails, he will go in and not be able to get back out, and will still be alive if u check the trap daily. just an idea i figured u can try, but im not sure if its true that they cant get out of that pvc[confused]. maybe another trapper can tell me this?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
he will go in and not be able to get back out, and will still be alive if u check the trap daily.
animals can't back up?
mink feed in any hole alone the bank. they are always going into confined spaces, and backing out if no food is found.

i may be wrong, but i never heard of this before.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
if you make a large U out in front of the pipe they will have a tough time blocking up the culvert pipe.
i saw a show on how to prevent them form damming up culverts.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree. It's pest control, not hunting.
When I called the State, I was told that they don't remove them. And I was 'Politely" reminded that they are protected and have a "season" on them... [eyeroll]

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3469

Has some non-lethal means that could help you keep the beaver around (if you wanted) but spare you the headache of daily dam removal
Thanks [up]

Were going to build a wire cage around the culvert like in the diagrams..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I can understand your problem of having to clean up his work, but I would try and relocate it. We have one or more on one of our properties, but we like him, cause he floods the stream and gives us some great flooded timber where we smack down the ducks![up]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
When I called the State, I was told that they don't remove them.
Sorry F&G (Me)always caught them & moved them to the river. Just show how bad F&G has become. There isn't a person left that could catch them. Tell them it's a bear & you'll have 1/2 people to save the drowning bear LOL
Check your Pm's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts