New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the next trapper education course will be held at Fort Dix? I’ve looked on the division website but there are no dates for any location

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Keep checking the F&G web site. They usually only have one around here in October I think. If you have to travel to one of the other classes do it. Good luck with the new addiction

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
It's a 2 day class. One evening (few hours) then a all day class outside (rain or shine) where the class will check traps (put out by the instructor's the day before) and do some skinning.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Keep us posted if u hear, wanted to take the course w my boy, always told him trappers are some of the most keen woodsman! BTW, any age requirements for my boy to get his trapping license?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep us posted if u hear, wanted to take the course w my boy, always told him trappers are some of the most keen woodsman! BTW, any age requirements for my boy to get his trapping license?
I was wondering the same thing about an age requirement

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
GENERAL INFORMATION
Modern, regulated trapping is used to manage habitat, monitor and control animal populations, protect and reintroduce endangered species, protect public and private property and conduct research. It is a technique for sustainable, consumptive use of the wildlife resource. In New Jersey there are trapping seasons for beaver, otter, mink, muskrat, eastern coyote, fox, opossum, raccoon, skunk and weasel. In New Jersey, a Trapper Education course must be passed and a trapping license obtained to trap in the state. To use a snare a person must first pass a Fish and Wildlife-approved trapper education course which includes use of snares and carry on their person appropriate documentation thereof. A person must be at least 12 years of age. When offered, course announcements will be posted on this page (March/April and September - October).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks Buck154!! I will still take the kid to the course even though he's only 10, and then take him again when he is 12 for his official license. Have to get them started sooner than these dumb ass age requirements suggest. The Division again misses the boat on this w the age. I proposed to the council to allow all day turkey hunting for youths for the whole season and it was denied cuz of potential hen/nest disturbance. So, I guess I will be waking my 10 yr old up at 0400 hrs again next season to hunt before school, PARC tests, soccer n flag football games n practices, etc etc. Im guna try 1 last angle and ask the council to allow it if they were hunting out of a blind, thus no wandering the woods n potentially bumping hens off nests!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, I understand how it is difficult to find good resources to prepare for exams. A lot of them consist a huge part of useless information and it is very important to note only the necessary aspects. However, think to achieve it alone is almost impossible, it is easier and more profitable to get courses in online school. There are a lot of such helpful services. My favorite is https://www.spotoclub.com/ . They explained me every detail helped me to structure my knowledge. I am so thankful for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts