New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could find nothing in NJ Regulations about bringing a tagged deer from NY into NJ. I know NY forbids Deer killed in PA to be brought in unless it's butchered or dressed a certain way ( no brain matter, spleen, etc…), but a deer from NJ is OK. Some states are afraid of CWD. Am I allowed to hunt NY and bring back a deer to be butchered here?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
On page 78 of the digest under the CWD response it states its illegal to transport harvested deer carcasses or parts from a CWD endemic state without following that states CWD protocol. IN just about every CWD state that means no central nervous system tissues, and any skull parts have to be cleaned and bleached before transport. So you can bring meat back but not a whole deer carcass, and if you want to keep a rack you have to skull cap and clean/bleach the skull before bringing into NJ.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
One place I hunt I drive through NYS near the state line and hunt in NJ. Where I park my truck is actually in NJ; but I must drive through NYS and back into NJ to go home. I have done this in the past with NJ killed deer in my truck. I plan on doing it again this year. I wonder if that is legal.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I get deer to mount all the time from pa and ny... Guys bring me a cape with the skull and brain still in it..
Fish and game just sends me a cwd awareness packet saying to wear rubber gloves when dealing with brains and spinal chords... I guess that means it's legal- just be careful?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Last year there were CO’s in Port Jervis on Saturday of the NY buck season who turned a friend of mine around when asked where the deer was shot, and indicated above Birmingham, turned around and got off the next exit.
As far as I know to the letter of the law NY deer are not allowed in NJ unless butched.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The answer to your question is it is 100 percent legal to transport a dead deer into NJ as long as you can export it from another state. So if a CWD endemic area or state allows you to export a dead deer then it is legal to bring that deer into NJ. This is one of the issues we have been fighting for 10 years now with fish and wildlife. This makes a lot of sense???? Yet we have had closed borders for live deer importation since 2002.

Tim Matthews, NJ Deer Farmers Association

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
The answer to your question is it is 100 percent legal to transport a dead deer into NJ as long as you can export it from another state. So if a CWD endemic area or state allows you to export a dead deer then it is legal to bring that deer into NJ. This is one of the issues we have been fighting for 10 years now with fish and wildlife. This makes a lot of sense???? Yet we have had closed borders for live deer importation since 2002.

Tim Matthews, NJ Deer Farmers Association

from page 78 of the 2014 compendium
• Issued an advisory for New Jersey hunters bringing
home venison from CWD-endemic states
making it illegal to import into New Jersey a harvested
deer carcass or deer parts from any state
with CWD in wild deer unless strictly following
that state’s CWD protocol.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last year there were CO’s in Port Jervis on Saturday of the NY buck season who turned a friend of mine around when asked where the deer was shot, and indicated above Birmingham, turned around and got off the next exit.
As far as I know to the letter of the law NY deer are not allowed in NJ unless butched.

Apparently the CO's are trying to persuade hunters that it's not a good idea to bring carcasses in to NJ, it is not against the law.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.