New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently do not have an FID card however I do alot of target shooting and alot of hunting. My question to you guys is: If I am on my way hunting or skeet shooting and I get pulled over, can the cop confiscate my weapon? I thought the FID card just allows you to purchase a weapon in NJ.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Its better IMO to have an FID but yes you can legally transport longguns to and from target shooting or hunting. I would make sure to have something like your range membership and/or hunting license on you. As far as pistols go I beleive thats another story but someone correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where I shoot is my friends house. But I always have my hunting liscense in my truck. I guess I can always say that I am going groundhog hunting if I am ever stopped this time of year since that season is opened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah like bloodtrails said. Pretty much how to law works is the fid card is only needed to purchace ammo and guns. To transport thats a federal law which is gun locked in a case in the trunk ammo seperate in a locked case inside the car.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
It is amazing how many times these types of threads appear on this site.

Everything from transporting to purchasing.

It is a shame NJ laws are so complicated and complex because of opinions of the police, and politicians and ignorant townsfolk.

Look at the cape may court house website telling people they must register their guns. NOT TRUE!!
And when asked about it they said it was a type o and the web master was on vacation.

If the laws were more clear and for the people, criminals would not have a chance.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Just be open and honest should a PO pull you over. they will appreciate your honest if you advise them you are on your way to the range and you have a properly secured and locked gun in your trunk, etc. They will appreciate your honest! Most won't bat an eye.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
You can transport a firearm directly to and from a range or hunting area as long as you do it legally. If you get stopped by a cop you must have been doing something illegal ie: speeding, broken tail light etc. which negates your legal transport, which means he can confiscate it. Don't break the law and don't get stopped and you'll be fine. There was no need for me to get an FID except better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and go apply. If your not eligible for an FID then you can't transport or posses a firearm at least in public.[patcheye]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You cannot transport weapons without a hunting license if you're going hunting or an FID card if you're going shooting. An FID card in the state of NJ says you have been background check and legally allowed to transport weapons.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
If you get stopped by a cop you must have been doing something illegal ie
Not allways.

You have never been stopped and given a warning just because the officer felt like pulling you over?

I was stopped because the officer said I failed to keep right, but in fact he was simply trying to pass me to get back to his barracks and I happened to go from around the circle to the left lane because of deer at night.

What I do agree with is most of the time if you are honest and show repetitive honest answers it will be fine, unless they try and question after question then it may be time to get a lawyer.

Get the card.... and have money on hand because the state will make you prove the law, not make it work for you.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
You cannot transport weapons without a hunting license if you're going hunting or an FID card if you're going shooting. An FID card in the state of NJ says you have been background check and legally allowed to transport weapons.
Not true. You do not need a NJ FPID to go to transport to a range.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I do not know why people have all of these problems and questions I have had a FID since it's inseption why back in 1967 and have never had to show it to anybody except when I was purchaseing a gun I do not think I ever had to show when buyiong ammo. I got stopped 2 years ago in Metuchen on my way goose hunting cop asked me if I was going hunting and if I had a gun in the car but never asked to see my FID.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wrong on both points. No license or FID is ever required for transporting guns in NJ.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I currently do not have an FID card however I do alot of target shooting and alot of hunting. My question to you guys is: If I am on my way hunting or skeet shooting and I get pulled over, can the cop confiscate my weapon? I thought the FID card just allows you to purchase a weapon in NJ.
I just went through this. Technically no but, I could never get a straight answer from anyone not even my local PD. I called twice and got 2 different answers. I went to a shop here in South Jersey and he told me I need a FID card and that the card says something about needing it for possession. Well I got my card and it says nothing to the effect that I must carry my card while transporting. I went to Harry's to buy a scope and they asked me for my FID. I asked for what, then he went on a speal about why they advise getting one. I don't know maybe these gun shops are salesmen for the state and FID cards. I have been told by the State Police that it's all BS and you don't need a FID to transport. So the long and short of it get one for an insurance policy. That's what I did. You may be able to fight not having one but, is it worth the aggravation. Hope this helped, Good Luck.

New Jersey we make are laws confusing so we can do what we feel like. Here are the laws if you can make sense out of them maybe you can explain to me.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do not know why people have all of these problems and questions I have had a FID since it's inseption why back in 1967
This is not 1967 anymore when you question police about this you don't get a straight answer. At least i didn't I have been question and told by gun shops that i needed one for possesion. what is needed is people who know what they are talking about but, I have not found that yet.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The actual NJ law provides that you must be in possession of an FPID whenever you are in possession of a firearm, unless you fall within one of the enumerated exceptions.

The enumerated exceptions practically swallow the rule that you are required to possess an FPID when possessing a firearm such as: (going to and from hunting--no FPID required, going to and from a licensed gun range-no FPID required, going to or from gun smith, no FPID required, possessing in or about your residence or place of business-no FPID required.)

The problem you will face is that many people (as exemplified by the responses above) DO NOT KNOW THE LAW. I have been stopped hunting multiple time by PD's and they demand my FPID along with my license-it's not required, but I would rather show it to them instead of going to jail becaus ethey didn't know the law.

You run into fuzzy areas with the whole thing when discussing activity that is asside from the enumerated exceptions to the possession law. If you are going hunting and stop for breakfast at the dinner-do you need an FPID? the law says no need for the FPID "to and from hunting"-but is stopping at the Dinner "to and from hunting" or somthing else? Likewise, you purchased your new SKS and want to show it off to your best buddy-that's not in the exceptions at all-you best have your FPID with you.

Finally, as to the original poster-sounds like shooting at your friends property is not to or from an official shooting range-I would carry my FPID in your case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.