New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an FID and own several handguns. I'm the only one in my family that can legally own firearms besides my step dad.

This brings up my question. My step dad is currently dying and my mom wants to give me his firearms once he passes. I'm not sure if he knows how bad he is, but I believe he would want me to have his firearms. We have been a very close family.

Do I need to get permits to have them transferred to me? Can she just give them to me? He doesn't have a will so I believe everything will go to her.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
from the nj state police web site:

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees
(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the transfer, receipt or
acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card
shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to their heir or
legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. A person so
acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-
1.5 and 1.6.
(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of
the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the
chief of police or the Superintendent. During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody
of the chief of police or Superintendent.
(c) In the case of assault firearms or machine guns disposition shall be in accordance with
N.J.A.C. 13:54-5.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
You can pick up one of these forms from your PD. Fill it out in trip. and mail the copies to the correct depts. ie State and and town.
NO!!! NEVER!!! DO NOT REGISTER FIREARMS EVER!!!

Just be named in his will and you will not have an issue.

BTW, a NJ FPID had nothing to do with handguns at all.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
He doesn't have a will so I believe everything will go to her.
He NEEDS to have a will. Not only for firearms but for everything else. Get one drawn up immediately.

As far as firearms, if you are not the heir then your mother would be. Legally you would then have to transfer from her as she will be the legal owner. You will need to apply for handgun permits for each of the handguns and Certificates of eligibility for all the long guns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - I know the will would be the best option, but we are at a point right now that it's too late. It should have been done some time ago. It's a very tough time right now for my mom making decissions on his life and I don't believe she wants to discuss with him who gets what. He's been battling cancer and she has been trying to nurse him back. He can barely talk or raise an arm right now. She will be the heir, so I guess I will have to get permits and have her transfer them to me. Is this correct according to law?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.