New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy an original Spencer rifle made in 1873 using the .56-50 center fire cartridge (ammo available on line) from a party out of state but close enough to pick up in person. I don't know if the feds consider this to be the kind of firearm that must go through a FFL and if it is not a federal requirement could I lawfully purchase it having the seller fill out the COE as a non NJ resident with no Firearms ID Card. If you know the answer please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
You cannot use the Certificate of Eligibility for private purchases of firearms from an out of state resident. These types of sales have to go through an FFL.

However, federally that is not considered a firearm, it's an antique, so just go and get it. No paperwork needed. Like buying an old lamp...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I mentioned the ammunition, .56-50, is that firearms manufactured before 1898 are antiques, not firearms, if they use ammunition not readily available. Springfield Trapdoors, model 1873, thought made well before 1898 are considered firearms because .45-70 ammo is readily available. When the law was written, back in the 1960's I think, .56-50 ammo was very hard to find but now is available from the internet so I am wondering into which category it would fall into. If it is not considered a firearm under federal law then nothing precludes my purchase in another state but I am not sure about NJ state regulations and the certificate of eligibility being filled out by a non NJ resident with no Firearms ID card in a neighboring state. That is what I am trying to determine. Thanks for any help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.