New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a buddy that wants to purchase one of my handguns. what is the process for doing this? he already has his FID card. does he also need to apply for a handgun permit too? does the sale need to take place at a local gun store?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I may be wrong but I think he has to go to his local PD and get a purchase permit for that specific handgun. It's been a long time since my last handgun purchase. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I wish laws were printed somewhere on this. I do believe this sale must go through an FFL dealer. Paperwork must be filed properly. I'm not sure of the exact procedure so don't quote me on this.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what would be the case if loyalOne gave it to him as a gift?

David

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
As long as he has a NJ FID Card and a Pistol Purchasing Permit (http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf).

After he receives the pistol purchaser's permit he will also need to fill out a Certification of Eligibility Form (http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf).

No FFL is needed - Just follow the instructions on the form - You keep a copy, he keeps a copy,a copy goes to NJ State Police, and I think the local PD.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/forms.html#firearms

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_ag2.html

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
JT, doesnt it have to be called in for approval?
not person to person.
all the proper paperwork gets filled out, copy to state police, copy to localpd, u get a copy , he gets a copy. this also includes gifts the purchasers permit tells you which color copy goes to who..
you do not have to go thru an ffl either, or should I say yet...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When he receives the pistol purchase permit, he will have already been checked out and cleared for purchase.

You have 90 days to purchase the handgun, otherwise the permit expires.

Once purchased, the seller must mail the proper copies of the form to the state police, etc...

That's it.

I sold my Glock 19 6 months ago, and the process is actually quite simple.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
he needs to apply for a hangun purchase permit. The paperwork to transfer needs to be filled out correctly with zero mistakes. If I were you I would pay the FFL fee to do the paperwork for you. To me sending the copies out and filling the info in is a pain in the butt, my ffl only charged me $35 for a transfer fee, well worth it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
LOOPHOLES
There are three way that you can acquire a handgun "without paper" and possessed legally in the State of NJ.
1. a handgun may be inherited pursuandt to N.J.S. 2C:58-3j
2. a handgun may have been possessed prior to the enactment of the NJ handgun permit law.
3. a person may own a handgun that was lawfully acquired outside the jurisdiction of the State of NJ and subsequently broght into the State

Registration of possessed handguns is voluntary in the State of NJ (as compare to NY were is mandatory). Acquisition of handguns within the State of NJ (outside of the 3 methods listed above) requires a pemit to purchase a handgun ( which is ans automatic form of registration upon acquisition of a handgun within the State of NJ)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
LOOPHOLES
There are three way that you can acquire a handgun "without paper" and possessed legally in the State of NJ.
1. a handgun may be inherited pursuandt to N.J.S. 2C:58-3j
2C:58-3j - Firearms passing to heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

I WOULD CHECK INTO THE VALIDITY OF THIS STATUTE - THIS MAY HAVE CHANGED UNDER MCGREAVEY'S ADMINISTRATION AND NOW MAY BE ILLEGAL UNDER NJ LAW. I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THIS HAS BEEN AMENDED OR RECINDED TO SPECIFY A SHORTER TIME FOR TRANSFER OF WEAPONS AND HOW THEY MUST BE TRANSFERED.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you are saying El Jefe that if i bought the gun in PA, i can sell it to my buddy in NJ without any paperwork? Does he need a FID card?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
alright let"s CLARIFY THIS, YES your buddy needs a NJ issued pistol purchaser permit.
only a gun you personally bought LEGALLY while you were a resident of another state, while in the armed forces,etc. can be brought back by you for YOU and ONLY you to posses.
if you transfer it, sell it, give it away, then that NJ resident, and you must fill out the purchasers permit that the person receiving the handgun MUST adquire.
IF your buddy wants your handgun HE MUST have a VALID NJ PISTOL PURCHASERS PERMIT PERIOD, no other way around it...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. Thank you very much everyone for all your information. i will tell my buddy to go to the local PD and get the handgun permit.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
You couldn't legally buy a handgun in Pa.

When you fill out the Fed. form for a purchase they'll see your NJ address, and ask for your paperwork (FID) for longgun. For a pistol, they'd either need to see your pistol purchase permit, OR (not sure here) NJ law may require you to make a handgun purchase via transfer to a NJ domicled FFL dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts