New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I figured someone here might be able to answer this one.

I do have a valid Firearm ID card for here in NJ.
Here are my questions.

1) What steps need to be done such that my father can transfer his firearms to me legally? I know he can p [no swearing please] them on in his will, but if he wanted to do it before then, what would he need to do? Keep in mind, some of these guns were inherited from his father, and I doubt there is any trace of purchase or registration, etc from back then. i.e. He has firearms that he has either purchased or had handed down from many, many years ago. My father is a resident of FL now, formerly of PA and NJ.

2) My brother is a resident of NY. He is giving me a Remington 1100 shotgun. What steps need to be completed to make this exchange legal?

BTW, I hate NJ and all these damn gun laws. :)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Go to the town you live in and get a Firearm registration from, its self explanatory! You also need to do this when you move out of that town!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Don't do any of the above. If its between you and your father there is nothing to worry about. There is no such thing as registration of firearms in the USA. Don't want to go into detail right now. But as far as you and your father, you are going to end up inheriting the guns. That falls under the grandfather law, and there is not a thing any law in this State or any other state can do to harm you. You stated that you have a firearm ID so there are no laws that says that you can't posses a firearm.

The only time you want to use your firearm ID is when you are buying a firearm that was purchase in this state originally.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
El Jefe, registering my firearms doesn't sit well with me either. It's my right to own/possess them.

My bigger concern is my brother's gun and transferring it to me here in NJ when he is a resident of NY. Again, why do I need to register the firearms I own.

I remember asking the detective this when I got my Firearm ID card and he didn't have a clear answer. He said it was a "gray" area between municipality law, state law, and federal law. Needless to say, it left me even more confused.

But, on the same token, I don't want to risk ever having any of my firearms confiscated or be "in the wrong" when hunting or transporting a firearm that my father owns or my brother gave me.

Perhaps I should take a look at the Firearm registration form for the transfer from my brother?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Again, why do I need to register the firearms I own.
You don't - there is no firearms registration in NJ.
I have been gifted firearms by my father and older brothers - no paperwork required.

But, on the same token, I don't want to risk ever having any of my firearms confiscated or be "in the wrong" when hunting or transporting a firearm that my father owns or my brother gave me.
As long as you obey the law re: transportation (unloaded, cased and in the trunk or furthest enclosed storage from the front seat) your fire-arms should not get confiscated.

If police were to memorize the myriad of laws in our wacky state, we wouldn't need lawyers.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, say I transport the firearm from NY to NJ cased, unloaded, and in the trunk. Being that my brother verbally and physically gives me ownership of the firearm, is it then considered mine and lawful to transport even across state lines? In actuality I am trading him the 1100 for a Mathews Q2! :)

All these gun laws confuse the hell out of me and I never really dove into them because I always hunted locally and used the same gun or two I've used since I started hunting.

Here is a skinny on some of the NJ laws summarized by the NRA as of April 2004.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ

Excerpt regarding the transfer:

It is unlawful to sell, give, transfer, assign, or otherwise dispose of or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver, or holder is licensed as a dealer under New Jersey law or possesses a valid Firearms Purchasers Identification Card (FID), and first exhibits the FID to the seller, donor, transferrer, or assignor, and the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver, or holder signs a written certification on a form prescribed by the Superintendent of State Police, which identifies the purchaser, his or her address and FID or dealer`s number, and states he or she presently is not disqualified from purchase.
This makes me believe I have to do a dealer to dealer transfer. I'll have to check if he has a FID for NY? Not sure if NY requires them outside of NYC.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Matt, check with your town, some do have Town Ordinances that require you to register firearms, but all that I'm aware of pertain to handguns only.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Well if you the legal way to do it from out of state while the person is still alive, you need to have an FFL accept them here and then technically purchase them from that FFL.
If your father was here in NJ, you could just transfer them. But he is not and it is illegal to transfer from out of state without going through an FFL.
You can do what you want, say what you want and feel any way you want but you asked how to do it. That is the way to do it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Town Ordinances that require you to register firearms
No such thing.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
you need to have an FFL accept them here and then technically purchase them from that FFL.
This is the safe way.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
El jefe and All with Guns:

You should register all Guns with your local PD, reason: Lets say a Burglar gets into your home and steals your guns, and your alarm goes off, now the PD is on its way and they have no Idea what is waiting for them in side. Yes, its your burglar with your gun! Its no big deal, just register them. Furthermore, its good for the PD to know you have guns in your home just in case of a Domestic Violence or for that matter, any dispute. I am a police Officer and it helps us a great deal to know that there are guns in your home! You have to give info like, Manufacturer, Previous owner, serial #, description, that all you have to do! My 2 cents

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
No pissing matches, just remember that they are your guns and you are responsible if anything happens! So, listen to whoever you want, but if it was me, I'll register the guns.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
You should register all Guns with your local PD

No you should not. There is no Gun registration in the state of NJ.

You should have a safe in your home if you intend on keeping your firearms.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Furthermore, its good for the PD to know you have guns in your home just in case of a Domestic Violence or for that matter, any dispute
If this ever happens - your guns will be confiscated and you may never own a firearm after this event guilty or not.

I respect that you are a Cop, however you are not a lawyer.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I went to law school. I worked in criminal defense for 5 years before working in finance for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Pla930:
I understand its voluntary, but it's the right thing to do, in my opinion! Oh, I Graduated from Seton Hall University, took some Law courses and frankly, I would hate to be a Lawyer, to much BS involved!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts