New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second year being able to hunt on this property that my uncles brother got permission for through a business deal. Never hunted it last year, more or less screwed around and my other place was only a ten minute ride away. Well that property is gone so now I'm official hunting it for the first year. My question is a freight train borders half the property. The only side where the woods are and there not wide. Its really loud and long over 50 cars each time. Do you think this affects the deer or are they used to it? I got tons of pictures of deer at night and none during the day. Not sure if the train runs at night I was just trying to make a connection to it

·
Registered
170 Posts
i dont think it really affects the deer. i think they grow accustomed to it. i used to hunt pretty close to some tracks and would see deer all the time, day and night.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
One spot I hunt has RR tracks...frieght...I stand where there is a break in the fence that lines the RR..shot a few deer there. I find a few deer killed by the train every year...you would think they would move. The train only goes 35 mph? and you can see and hear it comming from a long ways off.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Trains, dirtbikes, planes at an airport, cars on the highway .... it becomes their environment.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
They get used to the trains just like everything else in the suburban environment. Amazing adaptability.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
they are used to it.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Trains, dirtbikes, planes at an airport, cars on the highway .... it becomes their environment.
[up][up][up]

may be a little hard for you to hear them coming, but the deer don't mind it. If they did they would have moved on.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've already seen a few years ago on the GSP south in Bloomfield a guy on a riding lawnmower and a big 10pt only about 20-30yds away from him.AND YES IT WAS A REAL DEER it was walking

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
The deer get used to them. I'd be more concerned about tresspassers accessing your property from the tracks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I see deer from the commuter train all the time, they do not seem to worry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used to walk along a set of tracks in Denville and saw deer all the time, in fact they grow so accustomed to the sound that they are often struck by the electric trains.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
One spot I hunt has RR tracks...frieght...I stand where there is a break in the fence that lines the RR..shot a few deer there. I find a few deer killed by the train every year...you would think they would move. The train only goes 35 mph? and you can see and hear it comming from a long ways off.
Yea, that reminds me. I used to live in Scotch Plains right near the ConRail mainline. I would occasionally find a mangled deer on the tracks.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Thats why i When i hear guys cry about ATVs.
I hate atv's, especially when I'm in upstate NY, settled into my stand, all is quiet and then an ATV comes along down the wood road...just ruins the experience for me.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Don't sweat it. I've been hunting along train tracks for awhile, now. I've literally watched deer go back and forth, without a concern in the world.

Like UltraMag said, be more concerned about trespassers using the tracks as a means of access to your property a week before the season so that they can poach deer with crossbows, or, anytime, or weapon, for that matter..

I wouldn't sweat it. Those deer grew up with the trains, will live with the trains and eventually die with the trains.

One thing that has happened to me- random pieces of metal(or any material) can, and have, made their way onto the tracks and when the trains hit them, they fly off like a bullet. Just keep this in mind when choosing a tree to hang a stand...[up]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts