New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know new pup are not to sleep throughout the night. But there supposed to sleep alittle right? My Vizsla pup will only sleep if she falls asleep on someones lap. When we pup her intoher kennel all she does is cry. Last nightshe cried all night. I keep taking her out so she does mess up her kennel. I did thid the 1st 2 nights and she wimpered for a few minutes and then went to sleep. But not last night. After trying many different things I finally had it. My wife, me and the dog all had to sleep. I got up to comfort her and we both fell asleep. Me on the couch and her on my chest. I don't want this to be the norm. I need her to get used to falling asleep on her own. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the clock thing. She seems to sleep a lot during the day. Think this might have something to do with it? She plays then gets tired.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I had a husky once same thing. Don't give in as hard as it is. If need be move the pups crate to an area of the house that you will hear less of the whimpering. With the husky we would play hard with him outside so he would get tired and do his deeds just before bed time. We then gave him a stuffed toy and blanket in the crate, alarm clock outside the crate and eventually a blanket over the crate. When he would start crying with all that we would reach over and shake the crate a bit. It took about a week but right up until the day he died (3 weeks ago) he would often times retreat to his crate when he got tired or bored with his company.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I had a husky
i also have a husky! i used to have another but it passed away in july...i use my one husky for hunting every once in awhile....he actually finds birds...on day we kicked up and shot about 5 birds..he actually does pretty well!

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Also make the kennel as small as possible, barely large enough for it to stand and turn. It will keep them more secure.

Other than that, let it cry. It's hard to do but what the dog has actually done is train YOU. It cries and you open the cage. Why would it want to change?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
One of the local breeders up here actually has a husky pup that is being trained to track moose and deer. The guy plans on offering his services when hunters can't find them.

The small crate idea is right on the money. I will be breeding Goldens. The past 2 years my breeder/mentor and I tell all our prespective clients the best way to train them is get a crate just big enough to allow them to stand up and turn around in. Typically the first few weeks they can be kept in the carriers most folks take them home in. Then they can progress to the mid size steel crates. The enclosure of the carriers also makes them feel more secure. a 12 week old pup should be able to make it 6 to 7 hrs at night in their crate if you minimize water and food after 6 or 7 pm. After that you basically can go up to 8hrs or so. I agree with the statement that the pup is training you. They are smarter than we give them credit for.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
mpemt maybe you can also crawl in the kennel and sleep with the pup....lol

good luck with the pup.[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She was quiet the other night. I think we fixed the problem. Thanks for the tips guys.

Woj, yours didn't work. I got stuck trying. Thanks anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts