New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2 year old bull terrier, really nice dog and tons of energy. I dont have a dog. Anyway, I got him into hunting this year, have gone to Black River a handful of times after pheasant, have gone deer hunting (no luck), and he's itching to get his stamps for waterfowl.

We wanted to see if there was any way to get his dog to flush pheasants for us - without going crazy into other's fields and just running around like an idiot. Out plan is to take the dog clay shooting on monday to get it used to gunfire, then take it to J&G on tuesday to see what it can do.

Questions - first, does this sound like a sound plan. Second, are there any general drills we can run with the dog to do BASIC training. I have no training experience whatsoever. Thanks all.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
First it isn't a typical hunting dog. 2nd, how is the dog off leash? Does the dog run away, does he come when called? I would be concerned with him running away first of all. If he likes to run it could make for a miserable day. 3rd, will the dog be able to find the birds? Does he so interest in wildlife? It takes a lot of training. I am in the middle of training my first pup and was hoping to get a preserve hunt in for the end of the year. I am begining to realize I won't make that goal. She isn't ready yet. Instead of forcing something on her for this year, I will opt for a better dog next year. Just my opinion.

If you choose to do it put a check cord on the dog. You'll be able to control the dog better. Also watch for the dog leaping towards the bird as it takes off. Don't shoot too early. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs around, not too far. But it does come when called. He definately shows interest in wildlife - he seems to try to stalk tweetie birds in the yard, freezing when he sees them then trying to sneak up to them.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hopefully wont flush 200 yards away.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Your plan has more holes than a kitchen strainer.

NEVER take a dog to a clays range or any type of range and fire a gun to see how it reacts. Worse thing in the world. The dog should be introed to gunshots with a blank gun WITHOUT surprising it.

Don't expect a dog that has no breeding lines in hunting etc to just take an interest in finding birds. Hey, even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while. Doesn't make him good. You need to intro him to game birds in a field and most likely in your case on a check cord.

You'll be wasting your $$ by going to J&G. Take the money and buy chicken. It would be better spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts