New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hung a camera last night after work. I usually do put corn down in order to get the deer to slow down and mill in an area in order to get a good pic. This area is an edge of a big buck bedding area I'm trying to disturb the area as little as possible. I hung the camera on a trail that several big bucks have been taking out of a thicket where they bed. Do you think that I made the right move by not putting out corn and getting a true pattern?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think so...if you were careful not to disturb the area then the deer should have no idea you were even there...if you would have put out the corn they might figure out something is different and leave it

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I think you made the right move. I find bait helpful for drawing deer in when you're trying to get an idea as to what caliber of deer you have on your property. Sounds like you've already got that part figured out as well as how they're using the property. Now you just need to know what their patterns are, what times they are moving. Hanging the camera on a trail with no bait will capture their natural movement so that you'll be able to pin point that pattern. The only question I have is did you hang the camera at a 45 to the trail? If it's at a 90, the deer could be out of frame by the time the shutter snaps.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I myself put out corn and even a salt lick in front of my camera I Dont really want to pattern my deer I just want to see if theres any shooters in the area to then pattern with trails or Feed..My opinion Good Luck....Make sure you spray yourself down real good and stay scentless just as if you were hunting when checking on the cameras...

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I put it at a 45 cool thanks. I can't wait to see what I wind up with.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assumpink I usually do the same as well. Thanks for suggestions. The thing is in this instance I know there are two or three shooters bedding in this thicket. I was hoping to pattern what time they are coming out of the thicket and see if it's worth putting a stand there. Last season I set up about 150 yards away and wondered why I wasn't seeing them. I found some late season rubs from my target bucks in January Feb March. this spot is in PA so I know they made it. These bucks were in the 140 to 160 range last season I can't wait to see what they look like this year.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i myself try to not push my luck with a bedding area by keeping my distane. scout it out and find where there feeding and set up in that area and see what path there taking. then come up with a plan and cut them off. if you no there in that bedding your homework is half done. Now find that buck run there taking to food and make it happen.

good luck and keep us posted.

roly i hope your feeling better. your partner is a really nice guy. hung with him a bit at the booth sunday.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The thing is in this instance I know there are two or three shooters bedding in this thicket. I was hoping to pattern what time they are coming out of the thicket and see if it's worth putting a stand there. Last season I set up about 150 yards away and wondered why I wasn't seeing them.
sounds like you should hang more then one camera on mutliple trails or pull away from the bedding area. Create a mineral lick/ feed station. It may help you get the bucks traveling one route to and from the mineral lick or feed station!!

just an idea??

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advise guys I appreciate it![up] I usually try to stay away from big buck bedrooms as well but i've been reading that setting up in bedding areas can be really effective if you target runs coming out of and into bedding areas in the early season just as West Jersey Braques said. I hope I get one of these beasts......

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I dont think you made a mistake by putting corn out because if you really think about it the pattern that they have now will inevitably change soon after they shed their velvet corn or no corn. If i were you though i would stay a good distance away from any bedding area, i wouldnt want to pressure the deer i plan on hunting anymore than i have too. I usually like putting my trail cams near food sources this early, one it usually allows me to get in and out undetected and i usually get more pics that way too.. hope that helped..

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
If you no they are in there you may just want to stay completely away from the area. No bait, no Camera, no scent. First time in sit all day and hope they come out. >>>--->

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
If you no they are in there you may just want to stay completely away from the area. No bait, no Camera, no scent. First time in sit all day and hope they come out. >>>--->

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I agree jr. Too much risk if you know they are there.
I would glass from a distance, and hunt heavy the first two or three weeks. that's the best chance other than the rut when all bets are off.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points guys I'm gonna pull the card tomorrow and move the camera to another spot I think I was being a bit to ballsy[patcheye]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Do you think that I made the right move by not putting out corn and getting a true pattern?
Actually I was thinking about doing the same thing this year to a new area where I will be hanging a stand soon.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope I pull the card tomorrow and the giants are on there. Something tells me I'll just end up with the mangey fox and some doe's lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts