New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most of you seeing on your trail cams so far this season, more does or bucks?

Is this year any different than say the last three years of early season pics?

Are you noticing less does and fawns, or just more bucks?

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
What are most of you seeing on your trail cams so far this season, more does or bucks?
Always going to be more Does no matter were you are.

Is this year any different than say the last three years of early season pics?
No.

Are you noticing less does and fawns, or just more bucks?
[confused]

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
well for me, my spot where i have seen some really nice bucks is dead. not any less deer, i actually just got one of a doe with three spotted little ones.

I havent got any [eek] bucks this year so far.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
actually usaully every time i check the camera there is allaways more than 600 pics with some bucks but this year is only LOTS of fawns, does, and bear. tons of pictures this year but know bucks i have no idea why

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
More bears[wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ive been seeing 8 different bucks and only 1 single doe. This area where I live has very few does year round. Ive lived here 4 years and my buck to doe ratio is 10 bucks to 2 does. Even during the rut most of the bucks stick around and we get some different does being chased through. Now our land in Sussex has a crazy amount of does. Has to be 25 does to each buck.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NJ hunter, it seems you didn't understand my third question. I'll try to make it more clear what I am asking.

As compared to your pics from years past, are you noticing there are more bucks than you've seen previously or, is the amount of bucks the same but fewer does and fawns? Or, is the opposite true? the amount of does and fawns are the same( in comparison to years past) but fewer bucks? You need to make the comparison to past years pics and the ratio that you saw then, in order to answer my third question.

Your statement of "more does no matter where you are" is not totally accurate, especially in early season while the bachelor groups are together. Also depends on the ratio on your property. If you have a bachelor group coming to feed in a certain area they may keep away some of the does and fawns with their harassment. I'm not asking what the population on your property is, I'm asking what you are seeing on your cameras.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey NJ, thanks for the offer but I don't need to see your pics, I'm just taking an informal survey of sorts to get some idea of what other guys, or girls, are seeing on their cameras.
My observations so far this season in my area is, a lot of bucks compared to does so far. But, as I stated earlier, until the bachelor groups break up the pics may be somewhat misleading.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
DOES DOES DOES and......... More does thats the story of my august and september on the small piece i hunt.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I see a group of about 4 fawns that walk past with 2 does almost twice a day

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Spot A - More Does, Does with fawns, Only 1 Buck on Camera So far and a dinker at that. No bucks even showing up in the late evening or wee hours of the early morning. Last year had several decent bucks showing up in the dark, although no cameras out until early Sept, this year, no decent bucks showing up yet.

Spot B - Can't assess, Camera Stolen after 1 week out

Spot C - Bucks, Bucks and Bucks, Unbelievable amount of Bucks, Quality Bucks on Camera as well as visually when doing drive by's early evening. Significantly more bucks than does compared to last year. Not many does or does with fawns.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ms Grit, sorry about spot"B" that sucks!

I'm curious as to the difference between spot "A" and spot"C" though. Different area completely, different terrain, same property better food source etc?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Always going to be more Does no matter were you are.
The pics from Sparta Mt WMA this summer have been 50% bucks, 25% does, and 25% fawns. This is consistent with what we see during hunting season.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The spot that I have in Zone 9 always has more bucks than does and this year is no different. There are lots of deer but most are bucks.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts