New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what Recurve/Longbow/Selfbow/Flatbow will you guys go afield with?

I will have my trusty Black Widow PSAV 62" 50#@28 and I have coming in the mail as I type this a Kanai Longbow 58" 57#@28.

This weekend I will have some pics up for you guys.

So whats everyone using this year and lets see some pics of em!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
At this point it looks like I maybe using my Fedora Excellorator R/D/ Longbow 64" 53# @ 26 1/4" it's what I have been shooting latly and I don't see myself traveling this year as I kinda messed up on going to Kansas or Iowa. If you want pictures of it I have em PM your email and I will send em when I get home later.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have owned a lot of different custom made bows over the years and still have a good collection. Bobs work is second to none and performance wise his bows are in the top three. I just wish they were a little easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Same set up this year as last. Samick deerslay with beeman matrix ara's tipped with 200gr tusker Aztecs.
I had intentions of getting a new recurve this year, but it just didnt work out. Mostly because my samick shoots dang good for me.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
My possible experiment this year:

1. No bait. Period. Its really gay.
2. Ground hunt... mobility.
3. State land... lots of freedom to move around.
4. And depending on my traditional skills (I want to be dead on at 15 yards or less)... recurve.
5. Use my compound because my recurve confidence is really low.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
My possible experiment this year:
1. You'll find you don't really need it.
2. Tough with a trad bow but an honorable goal.
3. True
4. Good goal and my 100% confidence range.
5. Don't hunt with the trad gear unless your 100% confident. It's more about confidence than skill when it comes to hunting with trad gear. Any doubt at all and something will go wrong unless you get lucky...period.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
1. No bait. Period. Its really gay.
So are you [spy] but we have learned to except you and Matty as you's are

[hihi][hihi][hihi]

I WILL MAKE A KILL THIS YEAR with my trusty Fred Bear Hunter Take Down [up]
Also on the ground with no bait and no excuses ;)

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
[eek] AWESOME LOOKING BAMBOO LB [eek] [up][up]

LUV The flint head [up]

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Thanks Drop Tine.
The bow is a BBO bamboo backed osage with an osage handle and rattan wrapped grip, no shelf just a suede leather sideplate and my finger for a rest. Mike Mecredy from Idaho made it.
I shot 30 arrows all in a 8" target from 15 yards, that made my mind up for this year, plus I haven't taken a deer with primitive gear in 2 seasons, been using my Don Dow longbow past couple of seasons for hunting.

The flint head is actually obsedian (volcanic glass) Bob Saunders made it and bunch other for me. I have other arrows which I used chert heads that is a form of stone. Obsedian is very sharp when properly knapped, man can not make a sharper edge on any material with all our technology, they make special scalpels for delicate eye and nerve surgery from it.
I made the steel blades from old saw blades and the feathers are from local geese and turkey. The shafts are river cane I traded for can't find it in NJ and straightened/finished myself. Everything is wrapped with deer sinew from my own deer. These three shoot perfectly from this bow. It's hit and miss with primitive arrows but ones that don't shoot well from one bow will from another, it all works out in the end.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Obsedian is very sharp when properly knapped, man can not make a sharper edge on any material with all our technology, they make special scalpels for delicate eye and nerve surgery from it.
That is because Obsidian is the finest most dense of the “Lithic” stones (Volcanic glass really) and it fractures down to the molecular level!
I do not believe it is legal to hunt in this state with stone heads no matter how sharp they are am I wrong on this?
After that all I can say is WOW mike keep us posted as your season runs it's course PLEASE.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I do not believe it is legal to hunt in this state with stone heads no matter how sharp they are am I wrong on this?
That would be correct.[ninja]

After that all I can say is WOW mike keep us posted as your season runs it's course PLEASE.
Will do, goal will be a nice doe for the freezer then onto squirrels with the flintlocks.

Last one I got with primitive gear was a button buck, nice shot not perfect, went 60 yards and piled up.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Here is my current set up... even though I still need to figure some things out (like shooting at 20 yards):

Easton Legacy 1916 shafts, with at least 175 gr. field tip. I also shoot 250 gr. heads... which pack a nice punch at close range... but not sure about 20 yards (too far maybe?).

Remember - I am a traditional newbie. And I am ground (crawling) hunting in the thick stuff... so I will need to take the shine off the bow somehow. Maybe a sock?

The bow was my dad's (I think back in the 70s)... Herter's CV 17.... 47 lbs. @ 28 inches. However, when I test the poundage... is over 35, but not 40.

I also have another Herter's with 50 lbs... but the one end looks a little iffy (its old). I am a little scared to pull it back.

And I have an old school (my grandfather's) Fred Bear long bow, but I have yet to string it up (need to determine string length).

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
This is my set-up this yr.Black Widow PAX,ironwood & osage,60" 50#@29",Great Northern quiv.Since the pic. I have tuned it to GT 35/55 w/275 grn tip wgt. and 4-3" helical fletch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.