New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for public lands on gis maps, tax maps and I notice that some townships owns the land. I all so use onX hunt app for my private/public land maps on my smart phone. But when I go to these public lands on the onX maps it’s states it’s public. I check the site out in person and there are no trespassing sign up. I check back to tax maps and see that A townships owns it. How do I handle going to the township asking about such propertie and is their a legal document I can ask for regarding the property.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Some townships "lease" their "public" lands, by way of a sealed bid, to gun/archery clubs. By doing this they are generating extra income for the township/borough. I was in such a club and it is not unusual for a town to do this.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Either
A. The township, county or state doesn’t want you there
B. They lease the property
or
C. Someone wrongfully posted it trying to keep people out.

Most likely A or B in my experience but homework will tell

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have seen township property that states no hunting, but on the township website they offer about 4 permits per season. So Some township property's don't allow anyone to just walk in and hunt. You can try to get a permit for these places but I've heard they are not easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your insight on this. I wanted to get a little more info before I went to the township. From what I got here I should be in good shape. Thanks again!

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can search online for the county you are interested in and should be able to find the information there first. Some places give county or township residents priority in buying a permit. Here is the website for Hunterdon county just so you have an example of how it looks. Most of those parks with 4-6 permits say no hunting on the sign. But that doesn't apply if you get one of those super secret park permits that usually sell out the first day available. http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/hunting/instruct.htm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can search online for the county you are interested in and should be able to find the information there first. Some places give county or township residents priority in buying a permit. Here is the website for Hunterdon county just so you have an example of how it looks. Most of those parks with 4-6 permits say no hunting on the sign. But that doesn't apply if you get one of those super secret park permits that usually sell out the first day available. http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/hunting/instruct.htm
Ya I’ve found that last week. I’m out of middlesex county so I have to wait for out of county to put my app in for a permit. Are those spots posted no trespassing? I haven’t gotten a chance to go scout some of those spots yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ya I’ve found that last week. I’m out of middlesex county so I have to wait for out of county to put my app in for a permit. Are those spots posted no trespassing? I haven’t gotten a chance to go scout some of those spots yet.
The few spots I have check out state "No Hunting". You can enter the property and most have hiking trails. They only allow a few hunting permits to control the population. Most require a doe first and they give you an activity card that you are required to fill out each season. Some even have more rules then public land. Some assign you areas within the park as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts