New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Town approves larger deer hunt

Thursday, December 01, 2005 (from the item, a millburn weekly)

By PATRICIA HARRIS

At a contentious session originally planned for the paying of bills, the Township Committee Tuesday heard an earful from residents and took action on two major issues facing the municipality.

The Committee voted to continue its deer management program, which involves a controlled hunt on open lands and has been conducted for four of the past five years, with the addition of a component to remove deer living on private property through a drop net and captive bolt method.

The governing body also reached a consensus on Essex County’s proposed renovation of the Millburn Avenue Bridge, which was scheduled to begin next spring and would have necessitated the closing of at least one lane of traffic on Millburn Avenue for approximately a year. The Committee members decided to ask county engineers to hold off on doing the project at this time and instead conduct a hydrological study that could influence the design of any future structure.

Committeewoman Mary F. McNett, who introduced the new component of the deer hunt on private property, said Wednesday morning it is her understanding that Timothy P. Gordon, business administrator, had the permit application ready to go and would be sending it to the state’s Division of Fish & Wildlife immediately. She further said individual residents who wish to participate in the deer removal program from neighborhoods should contact Gordon, and a determination would be made if their properties are suitable for the new method of culling.

Permits typically run until April 15, and culling will not begin until the ground is sufficiently cold, usually in January, according to McNett.

The new method of removal is to be funded by the township’s deer management budget, she noted.

The discussion of the deer management plan drew a crowd of about 30 residents from the township and nearby communities, many of whom over the years have vocally supported or opposed the township’s deer management plan. It also attracted a number of residents who are new to the debate, although they have been experiencing the problem of deer residing on their properties. Arnold Selby of Rahway Road showed a poster he had made from photographs of numerous deer in his yard.

In making her case against the hunt, Janet Piszar of Main Street provided Committee members with copies of letters written by opponents of the net and bolt method, including two veterinarians, a representative of the Humane Society of the United States and a Morris County freeholder.

The debate heated to the point where Mayor Thomas C. McDermott rapped his gavel several times and cried, “Order!” He said as an aside that he only has to use his gavel once a year, and that is when deer management issues come up.

During the vote on proceeding with the deer management plan, Committeeman Daniel J. Baer expressed concern that hunting was being authorized in all neighborhoods of the township. McNett and Gordon sought to reassure him that culling on private properties would be limited. They said a list of specific neighborhoods overrun with deer would be generated, and this year’s hunt would focus on those areas.

The four Committee members who were present—McNett, Baer, McDermott and Sandra H. Haimoff—voted for the plan. Deputy Mayor Sal Bate was not present at the meeting.

McNett said Wednesday five or six specific areas for culling operations were identified in a September meeting between residents and the owner of the company the township is hiring for the net and bolt removal.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
In making her case against the hunt, Janet Piszar of Main Street provided Committee members with copies of letters written by opponents of the net and bolt method, including two veterinarians, a representative of the Humane Society of the United States and a Morris County freeholder.
It sounds like you can't get in on the hunt...[down]

unless your name is white buffalo, or you have your own personal stun gun.[smirk]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I work for Maplewood PD, which borders Millburn. Millburn also borders South Mountain Reservation, which is full of whitetails. Maplewood is also experiencing Deer over population and soon, real soon, Essex County will have to do something at South Mountain reservation, if I here anything I'll keep it to myself! lolol That was a joke, but I do know were the Big Trophies are in that area! I'll keep NJH posted on the situation!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Dsaint004 send me an email. I have some questions about Maplewood PD. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.