New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to hear no one was injured, that's some crazy stuff!!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/tornado_hits_sussex_county_tow.html

Tornado rips up tree, damages properties in Wantage Tonwship
by Tanya Drobness/The Star-Ledger
Thursday July 30, 2009, 10:25 AM

WANTAGE TOWNSHIP -- A tornado ripped through nearly seven miles of this Sussex County town Wednesday, uprooting thousands of trees, twisting guardrails and decimating acres of farmland and rural property, according to weather officials.

The tornado hit ground shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday, starting in Carbon County, Pa., making its way east to Monroe County, Pa., crossing the Delaware river and into Sussex County, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Joe Miketta. Severe thunderstorms pounded New Jersey Wednesday with flash floods and fierce winds.

A path of damage has appeared to have been drawn in a straight line, indicated a tornado, Miketta said. The first signs of damage were spotted at the intersection of Rutgers Road and Route 519, officials said. Some of the most expensive damage was contained in a two mile stretch on Beemer road where about 20 residents live, said Mayor Parker Space.

No injuries were reported, and power outages have been minimal in the town. It is unclear as to how many houses sustained damage. On Wolfpit Road, the tornado ripped off an entire front porch, said township Road Department supervisor Bob Wagner.
Mark HodgdonStorms ravaged many parts of New Jersey besides Wantage Wednesday. Strong wind knocked over several heavy canisters at the Elizabeth during the afternoon storms.

Peter Rumak, a resident on Unionville Road, came home at about 5:30 p.m. to find three acres of his property ravaged, with about dozen 100-year old-trees snapped off and scattered haphazardly on his yard.

Pieces of corn were also strewn across his property, which is especially striking because Rumak, 52, said the nearest corn field he knows of is two miles away.

"I've never seen anything like this before," Rumak said. "I'm just devastated."

Crews from the N.J.. Forest Fire Service and the Wantage Township road department are cleaning up the damage. Some residents are volunteering to help clean up, while other resourceful residents were spotted hitting the streets picking up firewood.

Officials received multiple reports of funnel cloud sightings and several downed trees along Route 23 in Wantage Township around 2:50 p.m., according to National Weather Service meteorologist Kristen Klein.

An hour later, township mayor Space declared a state of emergency, citing heavy damages to private and public property caused by mid-afternoon storm wind, which State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones said included the collapse of two barns.

Weather officials are currently conducting a full investigation Thursday, according to Klein.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What I found interesting is that yesterday about 2:30pm wife got an automated call on the phone about tornado warnings. We live in Sussex but about 12 miles as the crow flies from where this happened.

That was a first. We've had hail, fire, brimstone, raining cats and dogs but this was the first time we got a warning.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
That's terrible I hope no one from the site was effected. Malsua glad to hear you weren't hit

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
This was about 5 miles from my house, all ok over here[up]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We live in Sussex but about 12 miles as the crow flies from where this happened.
Wow, I haven't heard that expression in a couple years, nice!!

Glad to hear no one from here was affected. [up][up]

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yes, that was a tornado. Girl i work with showed me a picture of it on her cell phone that her sister took of it while outside. It looked like something you see out west. Truly incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts