1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aun: Too many trout anglers would hurt the Wanaque
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
BY FRED J. AUN
For the Star-Ledger
The Hollywood public relations machine might consider any publicity to be good publicity, but some trout anglers clearly don't agree.

The state Division of Fish and Wildlife recently posted on its website an article titled "Summer Trout Fishing in New Jersey 2005." It includes an eye-grabbing photo of a 22-inch-long brown trout nestled in the hands of division biologist Robert Papson.

The caption says Papson caught the big brown while studying the Wanaque River. The accompanying story notes "trout can be had in the major trout-stocked streams in northern and central Jersey, where cooler summer water temperatures prevail." It lists the Wanaque River, below the reservoir, as being one of those places.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1121146956286360.xml&coll=1

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Wow, I didn't know it was a wild trout. That is a beaut. Maybe that river should be protected. Especially one that close to the city and in a densly populated area.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I don't believe this story about the 22 inch brown in the Wanaque. That stream almost dries up during the summer. Only a few places could hold fish and I doubt if there are any that big there.

Ther are a few large trout in the Flatbrook along with thousands of smallet trout. This in the fly fishing only area because most fly fishermen catch and release. All these are concentrated in certain holes. Most of which will be depleted of fish once discovered by an otter or other preditor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts