New Jersey Hunters banner

TOO F-IN CLOSE FOR COMFORT

3K views 43 replies 36 participants last post by  BMFM185 
#1 ·
my buddy Rich came up to hunt my buddies farm today lookng to shoot a doe for the freezer. Had him sit a spot this morning that we have seen alot of activity on . Tells me a guy shot so close to him that he was startled in the tree. since no one else has permision to be there we knew it had to be the neighbor right on the line. Rich told me that shot was way too close and he sees why guys are giving up hunting NJ , Little did we know TONIGHT would be worse than TOO CLOSE.

After sitting with him in the blind tonight swapping fishing stories we decided after him only seeing one small doe we were going to pack it in with just minutes left of legal shooting light. as we entered a power line that runs through the farm a shot rang off below us on the neighbors property, with the slug whistliing by us less than 6 FEET over our heads. so close as we both yelled to the shooter Rich was asking me to make sure I hadnt been hit.
We drove around meeting the neighbor walking out and let him know how close he had came to shooting us..While he couldnt apologize enough and tell us he knew it was alittle late to be shooting at the 4 does we had pushed into the powerlines as we entered I dont think he really understood why you dont shoot at sky lined deer.

hopefully the next time he remembers how
TOO CLOSE He was tonight

NEED to say one more thing , what this guy did was STUPID but he IS NOT by any means a jerk, actually is a very nice person .
Who just left the want of shooting a deer take over common sense. When we drove around to his farm I was ready to rip his head off, but when I saw the embarassment and concern that he had really gotten lucky that he hadnt hurt us come over his face , and how hard he couldnt say he was sorry was enough for me.

God def was watching that one for us ALL, but reason I posted this wasnt to bash him, its to hope other nice guys dont make the same stupid mistake, you cant take it back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
you dont shoot at sky lined deer.
HOLLY COW!!! Talk about having an I.Q. Deficit. Glad your OK!

#7 ·
but some people will just never get it.
Reminds me of a day at the Clinton range. I'm kinda new to range shooting, always had plenty of woods. As a cease fire was called and people went out to post new targets etc., I was messing with my muzzy and a fella came up to me, real nice and said you really shouldn't handle your gun when they are out changing targets. Made good sense to me, I thanked him and agreed and put the gun down. He mentioned it to another fella and the guy got all freakin arrogant on him, and ignored his advice. The guy was real nice about it, he didn't push any further looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. I told him I thought he was right, I pointed out several shots that blew through the edge of the overhang roof where some dumbass obviously messed (no swearing please) up shook my head and that was the end of it. I'm not into telling anybody what to do, or people a saftey cop, (Seen those too that bug me), but he just walked up and quietly reminded him it was not a good idea.

But as Duc said, some people just never get it.

#9 ·
thats spooky. [eek]

#13 ·
glad it wasnt your time. and some idiots will never understand the concept of know your target and beyond. [mad] if i cant clearly see where my shot will go in the event that i miss i hold off. a deer is never worth the risk you take by taking a iffy shot.

#20 ·
who know were that slug came to rest , both sides of the power line have LOTS of horses out in paddocks and the barn is right on the edge of the power lines. Since the shot was right up the middle HOPING it hit nothing else but came to rest in the power line cut somewhere . but who knows which direction it went when it started to tumble

#25 ·
NEED to say one more thing , what this guy did was STUPID but he IS NOT by any means a jerk, actually is a very nice person .
Who just left the want of shooting a deer take over common sense. When we drove around to his farm I was ready to rip his head off, but when I saw the embarassment and concern that he had really gotten lucky that he hadnt hurt us come over his face , and how hard he couldnt say he was sorry was enough for me.

God def was watching that one for us ALL, but reason I posted this wasnt to bash him, its to hope other nice guys dont make the same stupid mistake, you cant take it back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.