New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use apples for bait? I heard the deer like them when the weather is colder. Something to do with making them sweeter. What other bait foods do you fellas use. Sweet potatoes, pears, turnups, cut corn I've heard all of these will work. Only my second year hunting so I've got a great deal of education ahead of me.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I use corn mostly because thats the primary crop around the area I hunt. The deer tear it up. I am thinking about throwing some potatoes in the mix once it gets colder. High energy food for the deer and the god !%#$ squirrels, birds, ducks, coons and whatever else shouldnt eat them up as fast as they do the corn. ;)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
All of those will work, at first they may not eat it, but as it gets cold and snow falls they will be looking for a good meal. Also, try mineral licks and deer cocaine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
TOM, try sweet potatoes, deer love'em but the birds and squirrels don't. If you find a farmer who sells grade "b" you can get a pick up truckful for about 50 dollars. that will last all season or more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts