New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent today with my children and my parents, and my Uncle Bud picking tomatoes in PA.
In total, we picked 52 half bushels in praparation for canning which will probably take about 4 days.

This was only ONE truck load !!!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
great day robin[up][up][tasty]

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
That's a lot of tomatoes! Looks like a fantastic day...good for you that you have your kids that like to do that stuff with you. If I took a picture of my family doing that my oldest daughter would have her cell phone out and texting in every picture [hihi]. Thanks for sharing those with us.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
That's a big truck load. My uncle just did his over the weekend. It's a lot of work, but so worth it. Have fun. [up][up]

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
That's alot of canning! Looks like you all had a great time yesterday.

And a nice cold Coors Light when you finished.
:D

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Looks great! Thats alot of tomatoes. Your Uncle Bud has the right idea:D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Now who has to do the canning? You, your Mom or both of you. Another question is how much does it cost to pick that many? Last question, where is dinner going to be?[rofl]Nice work by all![up][up][up]

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Looking good Robin [up]

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
Nice [up]
I went out and plucked a few fat and juicy Jersey Tomatoes for BLT's last night [tasty]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hows the back feeling this morning?
My back is fine, cause I didn't bend to pick, I stooped the whole time :)

If I took a picture of my family doing that my oldest daughter would have her cell phone out and texting in every picture
I collected all electronic devices before we started, but silly me had the radio of my van blasting as we picked and yep, you guessed right, I needed a jump before we left [wallmad][wallmad]

And a nice cold Coors Light when you finished
None for me [cry] I'm still considered one of the kids. Those were for my dad, my Uncle Bud and the one you don't don't see in my dad's right hand for my Uncle Richie who showed up with his truck after work so we would have another vehicle to load up.

Now who has to do the canning? You, your Mom or both of you. Another question is how much does it cost to pick that many? Last question, where is dinner going to be?
We have a family camp ground and a lot of what we picked is also for the older family members who can't do the picking themselves. Everyone will pitch in and do what they can until the canning is done. We'll probably get about 8 quarts per half bushel and between mom and I, we'll probably get about 250 quarts ourselves. The cost was $7.50 per half bushel, but the farmer that we go to lets us make heavy half bushels. And no, dinner was NOT tomato sandwiches . . . that was lunch :D

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Nice[up]

i dont like tomatoes..... but if i did[tasty][tasty]

If I took a picture of my family doing that my oldest daughter would have her cell phone out and texting in every picture
its the generation[hihi][hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Great!

By any chance do you sell those home-canned tomatoes? [tasty]

I think they're WAY better than regular canned ones in winter stews, etc.

[up]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts