New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you had out to your stand does anyone pause and give a grunt or two or some doe bleats?

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I sneak in . I don't want to attract anything till I'm ready to shoot. I've had deer come in as I'm climbing up, very disappointing.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh man! deer comin in as yoru climbin your stand... im always thinking about that as i walk to my stand in the early morning hours before sunrise... it keeps me awake in my stand... would you consider the hunt to be over if they busted you as you were climbing up your stand?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I did that when I hunted by uncles farm in Pa. There was no way to get to my best stands without spooking all the deer in the fields. It did work for me, not all the time but most.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I usually find if you get busted the second "wave" still comes around. But if they give that wheezeing noise forget about it. I would not see another for the rest of the hunt

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
would you consider the hunt to be over if they busted you as you were climbing up your stand?
NO WAY! I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting on stand and had a hiker/trespasser walk through the woods with a dog and I thought the hunt was ruined only to have deer come in within minutes of the people. I've learned that deer are used to these disturbances and still will move along their normal routines as long as the area hasn't been overly disturbed.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
It's a good tactic to use when the leaves are dry and you are makeing alot of noise anyway.

When I'm by myself and the leaves are crunchy.I will walk in a broken rythm. Three,or Four Steps, Pause. Two steps pause. Six steps.....etc.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Last year I made a doe bleat as I was putting away my gear to leave. This was NYS rifle hunting so I was hunting on the ground. I was next to a real big tree. I had a small buck rapidly come to within 15 feet of me because I was conceled by the tree. It was too dark to shoot and he was a dinker anyway. When he detected me he turned around to run away so fast he fell then got up and ran.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i personally like to get directly into my stand. i still hunt my way in during daylight hours but dont use calls of any sort or stray off the path i take to my stand as not to saturate the area with human scent. i will say that ive also never had much luck blind calling to deer.. so hope that helps..

·
Registered
534 Posts
There was no way to get to my best stands without spooking all the deer in the fields.
There is ALWAYS A BACK DOOR.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i timed when the deer come out into the field, then i set up a stand crossing to their favorite entrance to the field. set up some corn and they have a snack before they head out. my first day ever of deer hunting 4 deer came out of the shadows as soon as i sat down! didnt make a difference

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
NOOOOOOOO not ever. Go in quite to the stand.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[smoke]the only reason why i thought it could be a good idea is just incase there are deer in the area by mimicking a doe or bbuck it could make them more relaxed and not spook them off???

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If still hunting I will call every 100 yards or so and wait 10 to 15 before moving.

as gobbler stated if noisy I will short and soft doe bleat or fawn. but will not call with in 50 yards of the stand until I get up there then do it

If you call going to the stand you must be on high alert especially if near rut and using doe in heat sounds or buck grunts that sound like tending or mating. and make sure there is not some idiot going to shoot ya on sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts