New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Easterns are the biggest. Alao built with bigger heads and jaw muscles due to main prey being deer. In az where my mom lives biggest yotes look like small ones here. Nights good but call all day especially cuz u can use rifle upstate. When he oeaks his head out at 200 yards shoot it off. Nj is very restrictive with shotgun use. Would of had many more dogs if hd a rifle. Good luck and watch dow. Wind. Also a cheap way to make prdator light is packing tape over your lense then color in with red sharpie. Not an expert but thesr are a few of my obsercations from this season so far.

·
Registered
484 Posts
have heard of some big heavy yotes being taken in upstate NY but unless you do some testing on them you wont know if its a coywolf or not. bring your calls, be sent free, have a GOOD red lite and batteries, check the wind, camo every part of your body and face, listen really well, look for sign before it gets dark,bring a good seat if sitting on the ground,use different calls and tones with volume, and like someone else just said in another post use the land to you advantage. OR find a cow farmer and set up on one of his fresh dead cows all nite.[ninja] lots of luck

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm also heading up thursday.Bring up a rifle and if you don't have an electric call pick up a few hand calls.I talked to some locals up where I'm going and they've been using mostly coyote vocals instead of distress sounds.

If you plan on hunting at night a flshlight with tape over the lense and colored with a red sharpie is a cheap way to do it.First and last light are always great times to call as well as at night.I personally havn't had good luck during the day but i'm not saying you can't get them midday.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Birdhunter,If you're going to try night hunting with a rifle, I would get an ND3 Green Laser Designator. Unbeliveable what you can see with one of these on your rifle scope. Just type in ND3 in your search box.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went out two nights nothing, I even went different hours before sunrise and evening. Also at night, only thing I saw were deer. A couple weeks ago I herd them calling in the woods, past few weeks nothing.I saw tracks of a single coyote walking through a trail, called with coyote call and rabbit distres nothing [down]

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
very few coydogs they just do not do well out there. their cycles do not allow the line to continue. north Easterners are 20 % wolf. very little if any dog. dna. but it will happen. there are some really good info out there on studies on coydogs. universities of Nebraska and Wyoming are very good. UNY and Virgina have some really good stuff also If you can sit and read it [rofl]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whaever they are i want most of them gone [hihi], I feel like theres no game upstate. I ould liek to change that,I know theres a fox or two around my house but i gotta deal with the coyotes or wolves whatever they are first

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.