New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with my merc, it wouldnt run after i got the carb rebuilt at a shop, before i brought it there it idled fine, after i got it it didnt run, i found I had to advance the timing, it was almost 90 deg out, I took off the stock timing screw which was not long enuf and relaced it with a 3 inch that gave me more travel to adjust the timing. It runs great now but I wanta figure out Y its off that far and I want to get that screw out and replace it with the stock size. I cant figureout y its so far off timing. with the motor off and the #1 cyl top dead center it is perfect on the flywheel marked tdc...but y the hell when it runs is it so far off?? any suggestions???

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, its something stupid i know it is, just cant put my finger on it. i was thinking maybe the keyway on the flywheel moved but that wouldnt make sence because it is right when it says tdc, if the keyway isnt where it should be it would be completely off, and I have great compression so I know theres not a rod bent or something like that. its gota b sumptin stupid...like I said it runs perfect the way i have it now, i just got off round valley catchin lakers with it. but I dont wanta leave it that way, i wanta figure out what the hell happend. i think the guy that did the carb did something but he says he didnt, but being in the business (for cars and trucks) I know he musta done sumtin..it was fine b4 it went there. just had a stuck needle and seat in carb

·
Registered
563 Posts
there is a good boat motor mechanic that does work for Frank's Tackle(Ringwood NJ).(can't remember his name [smoke]).....tell em P.J. sent you...I sell them all their cars and trucks.......I only use a troll motor but people speak highly of him.......

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I recently had my Suzuki 30hp's steering fixed, new throttle cables, and water pump done by Ed's Mobile Marine. Two guys both named Ed, came right to the house and did the work and were reasonably priced. Me and my neighbor used them with good results, we are in Ocean County. Their number is 732-642-0564

I just bought my buddies 2003 Merc 9.9 for $700, I hope I dont run into any timing problems with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.