New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start thinking about a deer contest here on the sight. What do you all think.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of something along this line:

This is a "deer" contest not a "big buck" contest... everyone gets credit for shooting their deer (whatever kind, muley, whitetail, blacktail, doe or buck, big or small) however legal way they choose (bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, etc... motor vehicles not allowed ). Everyone will be regulated by the game limits and laws for where they hunt (including if you hunt multiple states). Issues of QDM, P&Y or B&C scoring, deer densities, weight of deer, etc. do not apply.

5 points for a deer. Buck or Doe.
1 point for every point on a rack of 1 inch or more added to the 5 points.

Participant score will consist of 1 deer. If you are allowed to shoot more than 1 deer you may upgrade your score by submitting the new deer, this will cancel out your previous deer.

To participate
- You must be a New Jersey Hunter.com forum member.
- Sign-up by replying to this post, giving your screen name,your age and the opening and closing dates of your deer season (if known).
- You must sign up by August 31, 2005

September 1st names will be randomly drawn from a hat to determine teams and then post the results. Depending on interest, teams to consist of 5-10 participants (or whatever # is easiest to fit everyone on a team). With the team score consisting of the total of it's participants scores. This is a completely random draw with no consideration to age or states hunted.

To submit an entry a participant must include in the "Contest Entry" post
- your screen name and the number of tines that are longer than 1 inch (main beam counts), if applicable.
- a photo of himself/herself with the deer
- photo(s) that all scorable tines can be seen in. If 1 inch tine is questionable supply a photo with a measurement against the tine for verification.
- a photo of legal tag.
** If you have issues with scanning or posting your photos I would be happy to help you out or post them for you, just send me a PM.

Contest ends on X date (1 week after the last deer season in the USA/Canada - I'll check what that is and then edit this post OR can end sooner if all participants seasons are over and all participants have their desired entries in).

In case of a tie, the participant scores will be arranged in descending order, the scores will be compared in that order with the highest particiapant score indicating the winning team. In the odd case of a tie past this the team names will be put in a hat and drawn, whoever is pulled is the winner.

The highest scoring team will be recognized.

Lastly... please remember this is for fun.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Screen name: Matty

State hunting: NJ

Season dates: September ? to February ?

=================================================

Just a suggestion but, since it is NJ hunter, we should make NJ deer the only eligible deer. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
see now, I hunt both PA and NJ, So I have an unfair advantage, But on the other hand I cant take as many deer in Pa as I can NJ.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not looking for sign ups yet, just wanted feed back on the format of the contest.

It is fair to me cause you are limited to one entry, that can be upgraded.

Looking for opinions & thoughts.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think It could be a good Idea, but we have ALOT of people on here!!! Whos gonna keep track and score?
I will, and the # of people doesn't really matter all it will do is determine team size.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's about T-Shirts with team name, contest year, etc..????
Since this is going to be a free contest, open to anyone who is a member, I was thinking of a $10 Gift Certicicate to Cabelas for each member of the winning team.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
What would be better is all deer must be from NJ.. People going out of state would most likely win over the ones that can't go out of state. Also you would have to have a NJ deer tag number to be legal.

I like the idea of Teams...

BHC you want to team mates??? ( Team WOP ) :D

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What would be better is all deer must be from NJ..
That could be done, but I would want to see the majority of members agree to that.

I'll be hunting KY, IL, & NJ this year, so I would like it open to all states. Hunters shouldn't be penalized because they have the opprotunity to hunt out of state, & you never know, you might wind up on a team with a guy who kills a bruiser in Iowa this year.

It's all in the luck of the draw, but I will defer to the majority on this issue.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Well consider me signed up whenever this does happen.:D

And secondly, lets get a count of how many people are going out of state for deer.

I would prefer it to be a NJ only thing, but I see your point of the teams having out of state hunters.

To make it fair, every team would have to have a designated out-of stater....

In other words, you cant have everyone thats going to Iowa on one team. Its almost a guaranteed win, most people dont come home without a 140 cl [no swearing please] buck or better when they head to the midwest.

Just so it is known, I will NOT be hunting deer out of state this year.

So lump all the non-out of staters into a drawing for teams, and then once they are split into teams, draw from the out of staters(one or two per team)

Does that sound good?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The only other state that I am hunting is Pa, because i am from there and will ALWAYS hunt there! But I dont have any advantage, cause i can only take 1 buck per year there, and I can only get 5 doe tags this year. I dont hink that out of state hunts should count, this is the NEW JERSEY HUNTER website, so only New Jersey Deer should count!!!Also The teams should all be done by Lottery, Cause some hunters who want to pair up, Have REALLY good Porperties that consistanly produce Large bucks and deer. If we have enought People, I would suggest pairing South Jersey Hunters with North Jersey hunters.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also The teams should all be done by Lottery
I will be picking the Teams as descibed in the contest outline & Below.
September 1st names will be randomly drawn from a hat to determine teams and then post the results.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts